No announcement yet.

Dunlop Strap Lock Quality fading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of choice, they both need regular maintenance to function as they should for a long time. Schallers need a small amount of grease in the cup every now and then to keep the cup moving freely or it could have increased friction and cause the strap button to loosen with regular movement. With the Dunlops, same thing, a little bit of grease on the ball bearings to keep things moving. Even Vaseline works. Doesn’t take much.
    Last edited by ErikH; 05-28-2024, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      Regardless of choice, they both need regular maintenance to function as they should for a long time. Schallers need a small amount of grease in the cup every now and then to keep the cup moving freely or it could lose friction and cause the strap button to loosen with regular movement. With the Dunlops, same thing, a little bit of grease on the ball bearings to keep things moving. Even Vaseline works. Doesn’t take much.

Last thing i wanna do w/a $5K 10lb LP is lube the only connection point holding it up LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Last thing i wanna do w/a $5K 10lb LP is lube the only connection point holding it up LOL.
        Last thing I wanna do w/a $5K 10lb LP is not maintain the only connection point holding it up. I lube my strap locks when needed also.

Comment

po-tate-to / po-tot-toe

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
            po-tate-to / po-tot-toe
            Wrong,
            potato is singular / potatoes are plural.

What you mean is, potato/potato.

Comment

I vote for Schaller S-Locks. They're just better.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Schaller/Dunlop is the same as the Coke/Pepsi, Chevy/Ford, and Gibson/Fender debates; both are great products. It just comes down to preference and familiarity.
                Lol for maybe the first time ever, I disagree with you.
                It's more like Coke vs pond water, or Ford vs soap box derby... Schallers are just designed better and much less prone to breakage and failure.
                My 2 cents worth for ya buddy.
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Okay it is on...Schallers suck!

Comment

Okay it is on...Schallers suck!
                    You spelled "Rule" wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Wrong,
                      potato is singular / potatoes are plural.

What you mean is, potato/potato.

Um no thats what YOU meant.

Comment

Last thing I wanna do w/a $5K 10lb LP is not maintain the only connection point holding it up. I lube my strap locks when needed also.
                        I've had to lend a screwdriver to several players I've been in bands with that used Schaller and didn't bother to lube the cup. The button would get loose and just spin because it became metal on metal. One got so bad it came off from the screw spinning out. Good thing I had the screwdriver in my gig kit along with some WD-40. That worked in a pinch and for the rest of the gig. Hell, even a small amount of chap stick on the button and then put the cup on and spin it a few times works when you don't have anything else.

I have a Schaller set that 30+ years old and not once had it loosen because I would make sure there was something in to keep it from being just metal on metal. Even out of the box there's a small amount of clear grease in there to keep things moving as it moves on the button.

I don't mind Dunlops. Have a couple sets. Never failed. Schallers, the same. Though I do recommend also with Schallers to use a small amount of blue lock tight on the nut threads for the strap assembly or clear nail polish. Have had the nut come loose a few times even when they were tightened down well enough. Haven't used the new S lock designs so I can't say if it happens with those.

I've even used the rubber washers (Grolsh beer bottle washers) over stock strap buttons without issue. Got a bunch of those I can use if I need to.

Comment

Always used Schaller here...I love their S Locks. Any reason to prefer Dunlop over Schaller? I never had Dunlops.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dunlops stick out too far, which leads to breakage, and undue stress on the screw as well.
                            Also, the surface area is too small to support the weight with all the extra leverage.

If a Dunlop fails, your guitar will fall.

If a Schaller fails, you still have the horseshoe shape to hold your guitar up. That's a no brainer right there.

About 25 years ago I tried a set of dunlops, and bent the screw while rocking out....It almost snapped right off...never again.

In 30 plus years I've never dropped a guitar with a Schaller installed on it.... Never once.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                              In 30 plus years I've never dropped a guitar with a Schaller installed on it.... Never once.
                              In 30 plus years I've never dropped a guitar with a Dunlops installed on it.... Never once

Comment

I am team Dunlop
                                even though they have flaws

I do tug on mine before I just start wailing
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X