banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drummer you would/would've most like(d) to jam with as a guitar player..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cozy Powell. /Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
      /Thread
      Don't see why. Honestly, I don't get what makes Cozy Powell that incredible. I mean he was rock sollid & I'm sure great technically & played w/ about 20 top bands but I'd personally take a ****ing caveman like Bill Ward over him any day. As with guitars, I prefer passion & feel over clinically "perfect" technique all day long. He (Powell) sounded like what he was.. a studio/sessions guy. Same as Carmine Appice, Bisonette & all the other sessions 'legends' from the 80's..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

there is no /thread for something like this. so many different styles and things ya want from a drummer. i love bill ward, cozy powell, vinnie colaiuta, bill bruford, anton fig, clyde stubbfield, max roach, steve jordan, richie hayward, billy cobham, david garibaldi, james gadson, elvin jones, levon helm... the list goes on and on. hell, id love to jam with buddy miles too

Comment

Here's the thing...it's not really a thread about 'great drummers' or 'drummers that you love'. It's about the one's that can jam out, switch things up on the fly have some great ;to & fro'/interplay with...as in ...be the most FUN to jam with.

Here's an obvious case w/ extreme (death metal):

Now they both obviously know their way around a drum kit & a blastbeat...but which would you rather JAM with? (..and yep, I'm sure there are smartasses out there who will say 'neither' ...but you still get my point )​

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Yeah, Alongside Chris Reifert of Autopsy, Richard Christy w/ Burning Inside (cuz it blows away his stuff with Death/Control Denied/Charred Walls etc) = my other choice as jam buddy for Death Metal.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

Don't see why. Honestly, I don't get what makes Cozy Powell that incredible. I mean he was rock sollid & I'm sure great technically & played w/ about 20 top bands but I'd personally take a ****ing caveman like Bill Ward over him any day. As with guitars, I prefer passion & feel over clinically "perfect" technique all day long. He (Powell) sounded like what he was.. a studio/sessions guy. Same as Carmine Appice, Bisonette & all the other sessions 'legends' from the 80's..
              Powell is a mystery. He just sounds great – better than any other rock drummer I know – and even now he stands out whenever I have the privilege of hearing him. After having contemplated the question for 20 years, I still can't tell you exactly why.

I also think calling him a sessions guy is a bit unfair. Sure, he played on a lot of stuff, and was called to do so, but a lot of the time he was in and out of bands organically, if that makes sense. He stayed for years in Rainbow, Black Sabbath and the Brian May Band; that his tenures with guys like Michael Schenker and Gary Moore were short isn't all that surprising. ;-)
              Last edited by Sirion; 06-04-2024, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Here's the thing...it's not really a thread about 'great drummers' or 'drummers that you love'. It's about the one's that can jam out, switch things up on the fly have some great ;to & fro'/interplay with...as in ...be the most FUN to jam with.
                Well, I wouldn't want to jam with someone who wasn't a "great drummer" or one "that I love"...(Oh yeah, there's a drummer that's really bad and that I hate, I want to jam with HIM)!

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here's an obvious case w/ extreme (death metal):

Now they both obviously know their way around a drum kit & a blastbeat...but which would you rather JAM with? (..and yep, I'm sure there are smartasses out there who will say 'neither' ...but you still get my point )​
                  DANG! That "music" is soooo insanely horrible that the "singer" tries to hide it all under his foul, disgraceful language. There's really no justifiable reason for that! And if you want to defend that kind of language in music, then you're no better. You are certainly free to listen to and to like whatever you want, but don't pollute the rest of us with such garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Ha! He is so quirky, and has some very strange approaches to playing over conventional rhythms. I really dig that creative approach, and it influenced my guitar playing greatly.
                    Yeah, and he never misses a beat. But Rick Wakeman did some really quirky stuff too. So did Steve Howe. Dang!!, they all did in Yes! That's probably why they were such an amazing group. Like the Beatles, they were a perfect storm.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Well, I wouldn't want to jam with someone who wasn't a "great drummer" or one "that I love"...(Oh yeah, there's a drummer that's really bad and that I hate, I want to jam with HIM)!
                      There you go being all nit-picky again.

You can have two great drummers both doing a flawless/great job..one being more feel oriented and the other relying more on precise technical chops and yet despite you being a fan of both guy's you may have a preference when it comes to "jamming" w/ one over the other.

I just said I prefer the looser more organic "jammy" feel of someone like Bill Ward when it comes to me picking someone to jam with... and that's the sory of thing I'd like to be the consideration here...

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

DANG! That "music" is soooo insanely horrible that the "singer" tries to hide it all under his foul, disgraceful language. There's really no justifiable reason for that! And if you want to defend that kind of language in music, then you're no better. You are certainly free to listen to and to like whatever you want, but don't pollute the rest of us with such garbage.
                        The singer is a life-long altar boy who loves his mum.​

Youtube

Comment

There you go being all nit-picky again.

You can have two great drummers both doing a flawless/great job..one being more feel oriented and the other relying more on precise technical chops and yet despite you being a fan of both guy's you may have a preference when it comes to "jamming" w/ one over the other.

I just said I prefer the looser more organic "jammy" feel of someone like Bill Ward when it comes to me picking someone to jam with... and that's the sory of thing I'd like to be the consideration here...
                          "Nit picky"? Really?

Comment

And here's the album/studio version of that first live song up there..

Don't see what's "unmusical" about it at all (or as usual it may just be 'musical' on a level your'e not capable of comprehending/hearing thanks to you lifelong struggle w/ tin & cauliflower ear )

Youtube

Comment

The singer is a life-long altar boy who loves his mum.​
                              Yeah, and I am the Pope who loves little girls.

Comment

And here's the album/studio version of that first live song up there..

Don't see what's "unmusical" about it at all (or as usual it may just be 'musical' on a level your'e not capable of comprehending/hearing thanks to you lifelong struggle w/ tin & cauliflower ear )
                                Drummer is just ok. The rest is not as good as he is.

It's not that it's "unmusical"...it's that it is not music. But that could be due to the physical deformity of one of my ears (the eardrum is just fine, though). Yes, it could definitely be that I can't comprehend it on that level.
                                And yes, it has been a lifelong struggle dealing with a physical deformity. But, better THAT than a mental deformity.
                                And bad language is neither musical nor unmusical. It is just not called for. In ANY scenario.

Comment

Working...
                                X