Do you guys do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Not required, but a little more effort will be needed. Of course some chords make it impossible, like a 3 finger open A. Other than certain chords, I always try to hit the string just behind the metal fret.
    Not so close that the meat of my ft finger hangs over in front or on top

I can tel when I get too far forward and the string dies abruptly

I shoot fro the forward third of the area between frets

Slightly ahead of middle
    But yeah
    Once you get up past the fifth fret
    It starts getting tight

Beyond the 12th fret
    it's wherever you can

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      Never scrutinize to that degree while playing.
      The frets do the fretting.
      If you scrutinize to that degree while practicing it becomes automatic while playing. With fretless bass I've reached the point where I can intonate right on the note without even looking at the neck, and I'm not that good at fretless.

If nothing else, it's worth it to bar right above the frets.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

At one time, I thought about it. It is especially important with scalloped frets, which I use (otherwise you can be out of tune). Once I made it part of my muscle memory, I never thought about it again.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i have a tele with a scalloped fretboard and ive had to become much more conscious of fretting position and pressure due to using it. on a normal guitar you might push things every so slightly out of tune but on a scalloped board, you can get pretty far out it you arent careful

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i have a tele with a scalloped fretboard and ive had to become much more conscious of fretting position and pressure due to using it. on a normal guitar you might push things every so slightly out of tune but on a scalloped board, you can get pretty far out it you arent careful
            Yeah, but after 2 weeks or so, it isn't an issue. It is very strange at first.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Close the fret. Since I was a kid.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I try to. It's not always possible, but I try.

Comment

Yeah, I always play just behind the fret, unless it's a crazy stretch on a chord that makes it impossible.

Comment

Always just behind the fret. I like really big frets - go further back and you push things out of tune.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Not consciously, but yeah, I guess I do.
                      Take it to the limit
                      Everybody to the limit
                      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Not something I really paid attention too myself. I just play. Looking at it now (after playing a few chords and single notes), most of the time, right behind the fret. Single notes may not always be directly behind, depends on what I'm playing I guess.

Comment

Working...
                        X