NGD - Charvel DK24 in Satin Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    Losing some of the bassiness to the neck pickup is a helluva price to pay for two extra notes.
    Depends on where your priorities are, I suppose. I can always dial bass back in through EQ if I need it. And I've honestly not found that the neck pups on my 24-fret guitars lack bass, or to any degree that bothers me. But I will admit that I play mostly on the bridge.

Comment

It isn't really the bass of the neck pickup I like...there is a 'throaty' blooming thing with the notes I hear when the neck pickup is in the 'right' place for me. I don't hear it if it is moved 1cm.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mint! Love my charvels

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
          Losing some of the bassiness to the neck pickup is a helluva price to pay for two extra notes.

That's a pretty cool instrument though, there is a used one selling near me with a double cream pair of Bluesbucker neck and Super D bridge that I've been debating adoption.
          It has plenty of low end

Comment

For what its worth .... my impressions from reading the responses above.

Among my assorted Gibsons, there are two Charvel Dinky's luirking in the background.

The satin finishes! The names of the colors made me say hell no! Actually seeing the guitars up close was a totally different experience, as the colors including the pink which was more of a shell color were very appealing. As for grey, on a guitar no, when seeing the guitar, I realized there was enough blue in the finish to totally change my opinion.

Te first Charvel is a 24 fret shale grey SSH with SSL6's and the Full Shred. The Full Shred sounded like I turned the bass and mid controls to 2 and the Treble to 10 on the amp. When I got the Full Shred sounding good, the other pickups sounded awful ...... So it got swapped out for an SH5 Custom and all is good now.

The 2nd Charvel is the Gold 22 fret SSS Dinky and it came with SSL6's and a Hot Rails. Never used a Hot Rails before - it works well with the single coil pickups, and the combination works well for me.

Due to hand size and problems, the greatest majority of the usual Fender necks from the past 50 years have been extremely uncomfortable for me to play. So, I have never owned a Fender and maybe two to four hours of life time experience playing Fenders.

Our local mom and pop store started carrying the import Charvels and I ignored them due to their tremolos, shapes, colors, and that they looked life Fenders - kinda. The store started selling the regular line of Charvels. The owner suggested I try one of them. The neck was incredible and I bought the 24 fret Dinky immediately.

Once the 22 fret version was released, I purchased one of them. Being a life long SG and LP user, these guitars were and are an incredible experience. The main point here is that the 24 fret model is comfortable and fast. It felt a bit off at first and I grew accustomed to it. Getting the 22 fret Dinky was an earth shattering experience for me. The two fret difference made me feel instantly at home and it feel like I had been playing it for years. When I play either guitar by itself, I'm 1000% satisfied with it, however, if I play the two Charvels back to back, I'd rather stay with the 22 fret model.

And yes, the necks are really that good, and these guitars are worth every cent.
            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Charvel is really doing something special with necks these days. Lots of value for the money, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Charvel is really doing something special with necks these days. Lots of value for the money, too.
                I've had this Charvel for less than a week but I already feel bonded to it, and the neck, in a unique way. I'm not a universalist -- we're all different players with different hands and tastes and inclinations. My treasure might be your trash, and vice-versa. For me, this Dinky neck is my neck. Everything feels effortless. Also my first time owning a guitar with a compound radius neck, and I must say I appreciate the subtle benefits both low and high.

If you're not a fan of light guitars, don't buy one of these. I was practicing standing up tonight, for the first time with this particular guitar, and it felt like I was carrying almost nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

I've had this Charvel for less than a week but I already feel bonded to it, and the neck, in a unique way. I'm not a universalist -- we're all different players with different hands and tastes and inclinations. My treasure might be your trash, and vice-versa. For me, this Dinky neck is my neck. Everything feels effortless. Also my first time owning a guitar with a compound radius neck, and I must say I appreciate the subtle benefits both low and high.

If you're not a fan of light guitars, don't buy one of these. I was practicing standing up tonight, for the first time with this particular guitar, and it felt like I was carrying almost nothing.
                  Have you weighed it yet?

Comment

Have you weighed it yet?
                    Not yet! I'd be surprised if it broke 7 lbs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Not yet! I'd be surprised if it broke 7 lbs, though.
                      Really? Wow!

Comment

Really? Wow!
                        I'm not great at guessing weight. It's probably like 8 lbs or something. All I know is that it felt appreciably lighter than my other guitars.

Comment

Working...
                        X