Time for a re-fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a re-fret

The frets on my #1 are pitted and worn, so it's time for a refret. I'm not gonna take it to any pro or anything, I like doing it myself. But the only place I can find that has fretwire is Stew-Mac, and I'm not up for spending 30 bucks on fretwire. Any hints? Oh yeah, I'm going with todays standard Gibson jumbo wire.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: Time for a re-fret

Have you tried leveling and recrowning them first? They sound pretty trashed, but it's amazing how a leveling and recrowning can bring a wrecked fingerboard back from the dead. It's easy, too. StewMac has the tools (I highly recommend the diamond fret file - the one that's $55. Worth the price...). If you can get the fret height to stay above 0.035 or so, it'll come out great! Let me know if you want to try it, and I'll write up the steps to do it. A lot easier than refretting!

Comment

I've leveled and recrowned them so many times. I know the standard procedure, I've done it many times. I just wanted to know if theres any place else that sells quality fretwire in the size I want w/o a 30 dollar minimum order.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Just asking...have you ever tried doing a refret and a complete dressing before??
        There is a good reason why it is costly......
        Ah just saw your post...but a refret have you done that before??

Comment

Comment

thanks mrid! yeah, I've done several refrets. This is the guitar I learned on, and Its been refretted twice before (once to get rid of the pansy ass skinny things, and the second because I play big strings and have a powerfull attack.) I dont mind. I've got all summer. I never got why my boss wants me to charge 300+ for a refret, I always figured the most I'd charge was 175 for the standard.

Comment

If you're going to luthier school, maybe you can get one of your instructors to help you out and make sure it's done properly.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I'm not going for another year. I wish I was going this year though. But I'm pretty confident in my refretting skills. I do need help in compression fretting and recrowning w/ a 3 sided file. I always use a recrowning file like Crazy said.

Comment

Thanks JJ, that might be just what I'm looking for. I dont like ordering from online supplyers, I always like to talk to folks.LOL

Comment

You could try AllParts. I've also had some luck with Moreno's Guitar Clinic.
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X