Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedal power supplies

Originally posted by rspst14
    I know it can be done, I'm just not sure exactly how.
    A rack switching system, such as a Custom Audio Electronics 2x4 Audio Controller or a Axess-Electronics GRX4 or RX1 Switcher/Router.

Essentially, when all the loops are off, the signal goes guitar -> cord -> amp.

When you switch an effect on, it places it inside that path, and as soon as it's switched off, it's removed again. So if you have a really cool but really tone sucking effect, you can turn it on, get your effect, then turn it off, and get rid of the tone suck.

They're also great for complex switching and eliminate the need to tapdance as you change from your boosted chorus lead sound, to your phased rhythm with delay and reverb.

It won't give you a complely bypassable loop, but it's the next best thing. All your pedals sit beside your amp, and you control them with a MIDI controller. So instead of needing two 15' lengths of cable, it's two 1' lengths - one to the switching unit, and one back to the amp.

Ahhh. The glories of MIDI.

Oh, the Voodoo Labs GCX Guitar Audio Switcher is supposed to be a good economical option compaired to the two units I mentioned above.
    Last edited by some_dude; 05-24-2004, 12:25 AM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I use two different power supplies depending on the situation. My nice one is a VHT Valvulator I. It powers my whole board, and acts as a tube preamp/buffer at the front of the chain. It allows you to run craploads of cable and pedals without losing any signal. This is possible because of the buffering/impedance matching. Really cool item, though it is kind of expensive($180 or so), a little big, and kinda heavy.

My cheap-o one is the 1-spot. I picked it up for the musical I've been doing because stage space is a little short and I'm only using a few pedals(volume, tuner, delay). I've done about 25 shows with it in the last month and it has worked great for me. Tons of power, and zero noise. I think it is probably the best solution for the budget/space/weight minded.

Mike

Comment

Hey rspst14, you may be able to benefit from a GCX switcher that Burkweiser just sold to Puckboy. If Puckboy can't use it, you could buy it from him. It may solve your switching FX Loop problem.

I agree about buffered pedals. It's good to have at least one in your chain. My Klon Centaur is the first pedal I hit, and that has a buffered bypass, which drives the chain a little. Then, I have a pedalboard.com dual loopbox, which bypasses my tonesucking Line 6 pedals. Essentially, when the loopbox is off, I'm going from guitar to Klon/ ADA Flanger/Fulltone Choralflange, straight out to the amp. Nice pure signal.
        I can choose to bring other FX in with one button on the loopbox.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've seen those loop boxes before and they look kick ass.

I'd get one, but I'm going the MIDI/rack route myself. If I ever go back to a pedalboard though.....
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
          X