Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinets - hard to build?

Hi all,

anyone know of any decent websites/books etc where I can read up on building a speaker cabinet? Don't know why, but I've started getting keen on the idea of giving it a try

Re: Cabinets - hard to build?

Marshall 1960a 4x12 (and 4x10)

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      Thanks for the input there. I'm fairly confident I can figure out the woodwork of what I'm looking to do, it's more the electronics I'm unsure of (amps are a bit of mystery to me in this respect).

To expand a little, I was wondering about building a second cab for an existing half stack. The head has two outputs; 4 ohms and 8 ohms, with the 4 ohm output connected to an existing cab. I was thinking about switching this to the 8 ohm output, and putting the second cab in series with the first.

I guess I was just worried about making sure I don't exceed the 8 ohms stated. I don't know an awful lot about this stuff, but I'm confident about being able to work it out if I can get the right references. I hope

Comment

You have the basis of it right.

If your first cab is 4ohm, load your second cab with 16ohm speakers and wire them parallel (16/4=4ohm). Then, chain the two cabs together in series (4x2=8ohm).

For an excellent beginners guide to series/parallel cab wiring, download the Dual Rectifier manual off the Mesa/Boogie website. Near the back is a section with some excellent pictures of wiring methods and how to run multiple cabs and what-not.

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
          You have the basis of it right.

If your first cab is 4ohm, load your second cab with 16ohm speakers and wire them parallel (16/4=4ohm). Then, chain the two cabs together in series (4x2=8ohm).

For an excellent beginners guide to series/parallel cab wiring, download the Dual Rectifier manual off the Mesa/Boogie website. Near the back is a section with some excellent pictures of wiring methods and how to run multiple cabs and what-not.
          Thanks a lot dude, I appreciate the advice. So it is as simple as inverting the sum of reciprocals for the speakers for the second cab (like resistors in parallel), i.e. ((1/16)+(1/16)+(1/16)+(1/16))^-1 = 4 ohms, which in series with the existing cabinet gives 8 ohms?

I'll be sure to check out the Mesa/boogie website.

Is there much more to the electronics than getting the speakers to the jack then?

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
            Thanks a lot dude, I appreciate the advice. So it is as simple as inverting the sum of reciprocals for the speakers for the second cab (like resistors in parallel), i.e. ((1/16)+(1/16)+(1/16)+(1/16))^-1 = 4 ohms, which in series with the existing cabinet gives 8 ohms?
            Ummmm. Sure.

Is there much more to the electronics than getting the speakers to the jack then?
            No.

If you look around (I don't know where to look, I'd just figure it out myself), you can find or design a circuit around a TRS jack that'll short when in insert a plug.

So you'll end up with two jacks. One is a standard input, the other is a series output. That way, when you use one jack, it'll work like a standard cab, but when you insert a second plug into the other jack, it'll short the circuit and act as a series block so that you can run the second cab in series with the first by plugging into the series jack on the first cab. - if that makes sense?

Comment

Here's another link on building cabinets: http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/speaker_cab.html

This is a forum off the Weber VST site where they get really technical about speakers, related wiring, etc. http://www.webervst.com/wwwboard/spe...spkboard.html?

Chip
              Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
              Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
              Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
              SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
              SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
              "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
              X