Good 8 track recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 8 track recorder

I'm looking to buy my first recorder, nothing super fancy or anything, but I'd like to be able to put more than one or two guitar tracks on em so I'd need more than 4 tracks.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience for some relatively cheap ones (around $200-$300)
    Fender Stratocaster - EMG 81/85 (camo)
    Ibanez RG550 - Invader (b)
    Taylor 110E Acoustic
    Traynor YCV 20
    Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Re: Good 8 track recorder

This is probably about the only 8-track digital recorder you'll find in the $200-$300 price range:

You'll also have to buy flash cards and I think they run about $40-$50 for a 128mb one.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
      This is probably about the only 8-track digital recorder you'll find in the $200-$300 price range:

You'll also have to buy flash cards and I think they run about $40-$50 for a 128mb one.
      I have a MR8 and it isn't a bad unit EXCEPT for the memory. Unless you go for the "extended play" mode[16bit] you can only get about 4 and a half minutes on the factory card. Also you can only record two tracks at a time so if you want to record more than two tracks simultaneously you need to come off a mixer-which works just fine.

All in all I would save my $$ and go for something a little higher end. I wish I had of. Wanna buy a MR8?

Comment

Originally posted by dasfonzie
        I'm looking to buy my first recorder, nothing super fancy or anything, but I'd like to be able to put more than one or two guitar tracks on em so I'd need more than 4 tracks.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience for some relatively cheap ones (around $200-$300)
        I still like recording onto very good quality cassettes and I still use my Tascam 488 Mark II 8 tracker...This was one of the best analog 8 trackers you could buy before the digital stuff took over in popularity...You get very high quality recordings and E Bay is loaded with em....No one would disagree with me about what a great high quality deck this was(and still is)...I wouldn't part with mine and I was weened early on via an analog 4 tracker...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

If you can find a Roland 840 used, you'll have a great 8 track beginning digital sytem.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I'm assuming you'd be looking digital but I thought I'd still mention the Tascam 488 MK2 as it's reachable easily within your price range?

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'm thinking about just grabbing a 424Mk III and using that for now. I blew my wad on guitars and gear already this year, and had all designs to include a digital recorder, but things happen and looks like the digi-corder will have to wait. But a tape unit would suffice, and I can still load the taped tracks up to my pc.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
                I'm thinking about just grabbing a 424Mk III and using that for now. I blew my wad on guitars and gear already this year, and had all designs to include a digital recorder, but things happen and looks like the digi-corder will have to wait. But a tape unit would suffice, and I can still load the taped tracks up to my pc.
                Bob...That's a phenomenal 4 tracker....I had that just before I scooped up the Tascam 488 MK2 for the 8 tracks...I've yet to record anything that requires 8 tracks,but it's cool to have extra tracks instead of bouncing...Bouncing isn't a problem in the digital realm,but with analog it is,as it introduces hiss and a loss of highend...Make sure you get some TDK SAX 60s or the Maxell XL2S 60s for your recordings and they'll come out very close to CD quality but will have the warmth of analog tape..

John

Comment

I've used the tascam 788 and I can highly recommend it, actually I am looking to sell it and get the 24 track version, doing a big project and 8 tracks just isn't enough. Need a lot of tracks to hide my playing.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                    I've used the tascam 788 and I can highly recommend it, actually I am looking to sell it and get the 24 track version, doing a big project and 8 tracks just isn't enough. Need a lot of tracks to hide my playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X