Tip for getting hardware in place on an archtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for getting hardware in place on an archtop

I've been fighting with my Dean Chafin Del Sol lately. I wanted to put in Dimarzio Virtual PAFs in it, but I was afraid to because it's top routed (I always hear about guitar techs moaning about replacing archtop hardware).

The other day, I got enough balls to strip the pups from my Epiphone and solder them to their respective parts on my Dean (taking out the pots etc.). Top routed stuff sucks, plain and simple. It would be impossible to get the far most hole my tone pot... or so I thought.

I did some brainstorming (I do my best thinking at 2am ). I got out some wire, took one end and put it through the hole to the other side. I took that side and securely fastened the pot to it. The other end I held firmly in place and when the other end was secure, I pulled on it to get the pot to the other side.

This may be common sense to some people, but for me it took me a couple hours of failure to come up with this solution. Worked flawlessly and I can now finally get the hardware all straightened out in my axe. I was smart enough to try out how the pups sound in that semi-hollowbody before I made any moves. After this much work, the last thing I would want is to find that something doesn't work or doesn't sound good and have to tear it out all over again.

To the guitar techs that deal with this every day, I applaud you. Top routed things suck and I can't imagine a back route for an archtop would kill much tone.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Tip for getting hardware in place on an archtop

Congrats on figuring out a way to do that. Sometimes ya just gotta think and do. The challenges and rewards of doing your own mods, repair or troubleshooting is all part of the hands on stuff I love to do...but I do know when somethings gotta go to a pro. My son's 335 copy badly needs new pots and eventually a pair of Phat Cats...I look forward to the challenge!

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
    Celestion speakers
    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
    Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
      It's really fun when the wires have been space cut and loop during installation .
      Added tip-when putting in the output jack I always slid a thin piece of doweling in and let gravity do the work.
      semi-hollows are just a part of a tech's day,that's why Jack Daniels stock is doing so well
      Hey JohnJohn -

I'm slow this morning and don't get how to use the dowel. Do you put it in the jack itself?

Thanks for your help - I need to swap out the tone pots on my Heritage 535, make the neck tone "no load", and add treble bleeds.

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I've only done it once, but I remember tying string to all the pot shafts and the input jack. Then, as I dragged the parts through the body, I had a way to drag them back into place. I used tweezers or needlenose pliers to grab them, and pull them back into position. It sure beats paying a tech over $100 to do a pickup change!
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Haha... I used tweezers and needlenose pliers to grab them as well

Pain is the arse, but it's rewarding when you're done
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
            Slide the dowel,(about 1/8"),through the output jack hole up to an f-hole.Slide the output jack into place and onto the dowel,turn the guitar up and down comes the jack.You'll need to guide it in,but with the dowel it won't slide off,damage the surrounding finish and at 1/8" it'll slide right out without pressing into the jack's contact.
            Are you gonna take any pic's?Would be a great tutorial,and an even better excuse to see a Heritage
            Thanks a bunch, JohnJohn. That makes perfect sense.

Yeah, I'll take some pics when I get to the electronics. Might try to post some this weekend anyway.

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

i used dental floss when i hot rodded my ibanez am-50 ... worked fine .. took a long time and taught me patience .. i needed to 'walk away' for a while after each component .. took me all weekend, but i had my sanity and never got so burnt out that i forgot my lessons learned ... the last piece took about 1/4 the time of the first .. practice makes perfect :-)

good luck
              cheers,
              t4d
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
              X