banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Time frame: How different is the LP studio from the Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Time frame: How different is the LP studio from the Standard?

actually I passed on both deals...
    Gear:
    Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
    1988 Strat (copy)
    Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
    Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
    Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Comment

I've only purchased 2 guitars in my life that I didn't play beforehand. One was an Ovation acoustic and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. It's been played a LOT. The other was my ES-135, which is a very, very nice instrument that I've put a lot of additional money into to make it into "my" guitar (frets, etc), but I haven't bonded with it the way that I have with some of my other instruments (namely my LP Custom and my Bastardcaster Tele). That said, I guess I'd still put a '95 Standard over a new Studio. Call me fickle!
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Don't they have different pup's also? I've always been a Fender dude myself. Would love to have an LP oneday when I can afford it (oh sure..keep dreaming).
        You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
        - Frank Zappa

Comment

It varies from guitar to guitar, but just so you know, 94 was a great year for the wood on most guitars. The 90's, in general, seemed to be great for most companies.

Just like Dr. Barlo said, there's typical Standards that you wouldn't even trade for a Historic. IMO, it has a little bit to do with the price, but not always the rule.
          Since Standards sell for $2000, it's nice to see them for as low as $1100 used. If the pictures online show every indication that the guitar was a 'babied' under the bed type guitar, you're generally safe in buying it. If it looks like a player's guitar, I normally pass, just to avoid any disappointment. A guitar that looks slightly worn in pictures is usually worse looking in person.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            It varies from guitar to guitar, but just so you know, 94 was a great year for the wood on most guitars. The 90's, in general, seemed to be great for most companies.

Just like Dr. Barlo said, there's typical Standards that you wouldn't even trade for a Historic. IMO, it has a little bit to do with the price, but not always the rule.
            Since Standards sell for $2000, it's nice to see them for as low as $1100 used. If the pictures online show every indication that the guitar was a 'babied' under the bed type guitar, you're generally safe in buying it. If it looks like a player's guitar, I normally pass, just to avoid any disappointment. A guitar that looks slightly worn in pictures is usually worse looking in person.
            Actually the Standard looked very good in pictures, no scratches, or dents. But still that big disclaimer that says all sales are final...Then again that is the norm on used instruments any way. I have no problem buying it used though. I've bought plenty of used gear before some have been disappointing others have been great purchases....
            Gear:
            1988 Strat (copy)
            Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

Originally posted by pureoldsound
              Actually the Standard looked very good in pictures, no scratches, or dents. But still that big disclaimer that says all sales are final...Then again that is the norm on used instruments any way. I have no problem buying it used though. I've bought plenty of used gear before some have been disappointing others have been great purchases....
              I sorta remember a 5-day trial period in some of the used Gibson dealers I came across in gbase. If I were you I'd check that site, lotsa dealers!

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

And it would not hurt to call them up and ask for such a money back guarantee. A good dealer KNOWS and can predict why you are asking that question. And if they trust the product they are selling, 5-day return thingy is no biggie!

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                  I sorta remember a 5-day trial period in some of the used Gibson dealers I came across in gbase. If I were you I'd check that site, lotsa dealers!

B
                  I did checked that site, it has a lot of dealers and great deals on LPs. I'll call tomorrow and ask about any trial period. If they don't have one I might as well pass on that deal and try another store. I brought this subject before, but I really am thinking about the gold top double cut classic with BKs. It is in the same range of a used LP standard the only difference is that I can get the DC for the same price new.
                  Gear:
                  1988 Strat (copy)
                  Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

Just an update, I went for the LP DC classic gold top with humbuckers. I figure I could get some of the warmer tome of the LP single cut and a the bright tone of the SG in one guitar. Plus I can reach the bottom frets.

Any thoughts on the DC?
                    Gear:
                    1988 Strat (copy)
                    Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

I don't care for the DC Classics for two reasons. First of all, the thin neck takes away low end and adds brightness. If I wanted my LP to sound like that, I'd have bought an SG instead and saved several hundred $$$. Second, I don't like the 24 fret neck as it makes the neck pickup too bright.

The main thing I like about the Classic is that it uses an ABR-1 bridge which offers a substantial tone improvement over the Nashville Tune-o-matic on the Standard.

Like gearjoneser said, I wouldn't trade my Standard for a '59 RI. It's an '01 Standard with changed electronics and an ABR-1 conversion; it sounds as good or better than any historic I've A/B'd it against.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust
                        I don't care for the DC Classics for two reasons. First of all, the thin neck takes away low end and adds brightness. If I wanted my LP to sound like that, I'd have bought an SG instead and saved several hundred $$$. Second, I don't like the 24 fret neck as it makes the neck pickup too bright.

The main thing I like about the Classic is that it uses an ABR-1 bridge which offers a substantial tone improvement over the Nashville Tune-o-matic on the Standard.

Like gearjoneser said, I wouldn't trade my Standard for a '59 RI. It's an '01 Standard with changed electronics and an ABR-1 conversion; it sounds as good or better than any historic I've A/B'd it against.
                        I was thinking in adding a Jazz model on neck then add a super distortion Dimarzio or a sed lover on bridge to fatten up the tone.
                        Gear:
                        1988 Strat (copy)
                        Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

Working...
                        X