String Breakage.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Breakage.....

I am finding that on my Strat. I do a lot of high E bends at the 12th fret and they keep breaking in the middle. Is this normal? Is a full step about all I can expect. Is this due to the longer scale length of the Strat? The strings never break at the nut or saddle, only at the area being bent. I can not fing any sharp edges on the frets.

Re: String Breakage.....

Normally when I break strings, it's at the bridge. If you're doing an awful lot of bending at the 12th fret, you may be weakening the string at that point. You don't say what guages of strings you're playing but obviously the thicker the string, the more it will stand up to that sort of punishment. The fret also doesn't really have to be sharp per se, just something for the string to wear itself out on. I've got pretty strong hands and about the most I can get with normal force is about a step & a half, but then I use 10s & 11s on the top end.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

when you put enw strings on, do you stretch them? that could be it.

also, check your bridge saddles, if there is a sharp edge, that could be it as well.
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Cheap strings or razor frets would be my guess...
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
          Normally when I break strings, it's at the bridge. If you're doing an awful lot of bending at the 12th fret, you may be weakening the string at that point. You don't say what guages of strings you're playing but obviously the thicker the string, the more it will stand up to that sort of punishment. The fret also doesn't really have to be sharp per se, just something for the string to wear itself out on. I've got pretty strong hands and about the most I can get with normal force is about a step & a half, but then I use 10s & 11s on the top end.
          the thicker the string the less of a bend you can get outta it though, i'm guessing its a lack or string streching, this used to happen to me and i streched my strings more and it stopped happenin.... but i use .011's...

Comment

Have you considered changing the brand of string you use? I've been using Gibson Vintage Reissue (10's) for around 2 years and I've only broken 3 strings, and all of them were cases in which I didn't stretch the strings well enough when I first put them on, and tried to stretch them some more after a few weeks of playing and pretty much just ripped it out.

Comment

Working...
            X