Review: Esp Ltd Ec-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Esp Ltd Ec-400

I went into Steve's Music in Toronto today to play a guitar that had EMG's stock, and the dude handed me an EC-400. I always thought that the LTD series of guitars would be like squiers are to Fenders (really really crappy quality) but boy was I wrong. As soon as I started playing it, I could tell that I will certainly enjoy any other LTD guitars I will play in the future.

This model had an EMG 81/81 combo that SANG! When I plugged it into a Randall 100SC 100 watt combo through a Boss MT-2, I was surprised at the nice cleans I could get out of it. Everyone always says that EMG 81's have sh1t cleans, but these were actually nice. Not too bassy in the bridge, just the right amount of mid and treble. In the neck, there was not too much bass, or too little, it was just right.

When I started sliding up and down the neck with Weezer's Say it Ain't So, I must say I really liked how smooth and slideable the neck was. It was a nice shape that made my left hand feel very at home. With its 24 XJ frets and 24.75" scale, the playability of this guitar was amazing. Bends were not a problem at all, and the overall ease of movement made quick shred runs a pleasure. I wouldn't change anything about this neck.

I stepped on the Metal Zone, and let me say.... I almost fell off the stool. The clarity of these pickups through the ridiculous gain I pushed through them shocked me beyond belief. And once again, I stress the fact that the neck made metal tunes flow through my fingers... I couldn't help but begin playing South of Heaven by Slayer. I LOVE the tone from this guitar.

This guitar has pretty much everything you could want from a guitar, and plays like guitars that are USA made, matching the quality of even a real Gibson LP. It has Sperzel locking tuners, an Earvana nut, EMG pups, and great hardware. The few things I would change though, are the toggle switch; I found it too loose and rattley; and the bridge... it's a Tune-o-Matic with stop tailpiece, and I found it sort of cut my wrist with palm mutes and such. But maybe I just need to get used to it.

To conclude, I think I would definitely buy an EC-400 because it's got a GREAT price tag ($840) with amazing value for your money... I just wish I discovered it before I bought my Ibanez... But the next guitar I buy will be my Custom ESP Signature guitar! Anyway, that wraps up my review of the LTD EC-400. Hope you enjoyed the ride.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Review: Esp Ltd Ec-400

Sounds like a cheap way to heaven

My Dean Chafin Del Sol semi-hollowbody I bought for half a grand and the feel and quality I will gladly put up to any Gibson/Heritage/Washburn/PRS semi-hollowbodies.

It amazes me that cheaper guitars are getting better and better quality and more expensive ones are slipping. I was lucky to grab my LP Standard with absolutely not the slightest thing off (which, on a Gibson, is close to a miracle).
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      It amazes me that cheaper guitars are getting better and better quality and more expensive ones are slipping.
      I think that sums it up pretty nicely. Some companies offer Korean or Japanese made instruments that rival the quality of American made stuff... fifteen years ago, that was unheard of.

Shame on the original poster for having a bias against LTD before you even tried them, but I'm glad you've discovered a new love. I know guys who are NUTS for LTDs.... cheap pieces of crap they ain't.

For good bang-to-buck ratio, I can also recommend Japanese-made Jacksons. Amazing quality for the cash.
      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Ive been impressed by every LTD ive played. Theyre on my list for next guitar. Out of interest which Jackson's are Japanese made by looking at the model name? (just thinking about my next axe)

Comment

8)
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

hehe, i love my ltd....

also, a weezer fan are ya? part of their board? lol
            esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
            fender mim standard strat
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
            dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic
            "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf
              Ive been impressed by every LTD ive played. Theyre on my list for next guitar. Out of interest which Jackson's are Japanese made by looking at the model name? (just thinking about my next axe)
              Easiest way to tell is to look at the headstock. American-made models will let you know. If there's no USA indication, then it's a foreign one. I think most of the Pro, MG and X series are Japanese. When in doubt, head over to the Jackson/Charvel Forums.
              It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                Shame on the original poster for having a bias against LTD before you even tried them
                :fing25: lol
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                X