our heroes' guitar rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: our heroes' guitar rigs

Being as my favourite tones (of Josh Homme in the Kyuss days) were produced with vintage ampeg stuff, tube works stuff and an ovation Ultra GP, it would be pretty hard for me to copy the setup.

the reason i have my half stack is because someone gave it to me free. no one uses a Randall RB-100 from the mid 70s. I cant find any info on the damn thing.

I bought both my guitars completely on impulse. looked nice, palyed nice, sounded nice, so i bought 'em.
    Last edited by Rich_T; 06-01-2004, 08:43 AM.
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i'd love to have Petty's rig...but mines far from it...!?

mike campbell's wouldn't be bad either...

Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I would say that I seek tones of certain people, but I have not jumped on the Artist model bandwagon. The only Artist equipment I own are the Morley pedals, the L'il Alligator Volume, and the Bad horsie II, both "signed" by DR Vai. The endorsement was nearly enough to cause me to buy other models, but I really love the electro-optical response from the pedals. At any rate, I have had the displeasure of playing with copycats that had the SRV1 copy and played...well SRV all day long or the guy who has the Gibson LPZW, the Marshall 2203ZW, and his new Overdive pedal, but couldnt play Crazy Train, much less any Black Label Society jams... The quest for tone should be a holy one, do not sell out and becomea tone slut!! To thyself, be true....
        ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

I first picked up an Explorer because of Hetfield, but I bought one because I loved how it played. Of all the guitars I own, I'd have to say my Explorer is the most comfortable for me.

When it comes to copying one's heroes, I have a Les Paul with a Alnico II Pro, and I play through a Jubilee 2555. I have essentially Slash's gear and I even use similar strings (DR 11s) but I don't sound anything like Slash. At least 50% of tone comes from the hands which is why you wouldn't sound like your hero even if you played their personal guitar.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

In the Twin's defense, that is one of the best versatile amps EVER made. At one point in time, I am sure that you can trace the Twin or Twin Reverb to nearly every guitar player's arsenal. A broad tonal pallete in it's own right, it can also handle the hottest pedals to satisfy anyone's appetite.
            Truth be told, we all, in some finite way, seek a sound that we heard once in a song or at a concert or even by fluke... I had an old Clapton Cassette tape and remember loving his warm tone. After the tape died, and technology advanced, I purchased the same album on CD and was severely disappointed to find it brigther than the analog tape version. It wasnt "Clapton" that I was trying to emulate, but that exact sound FROM Clapton that I sought. Once my eyes were opened, I realized how many people had similar sounds seepin out of their songs.
            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
              While I agree with you in theory....

....You'll notice that most people who posted on this thread have said they bought this or that because so and so used it, but then they moved on and now sound nothing like them. I bought some of my gear because I liked some of the tones put out by Nirvana, but I don't sound anything like Kurt Cobain.

I agree though that if you have a complete Zakk Wylde signature rig that you probably need a life, but they're no worse than Elvis impersonators.
              You make some really good points. I agree.

Comparing hero-worshipping metal geeks to Elvis impersonators is both hilarious and sometimes accurate. Metalheads cop hair styles, clothes and speech patterns (not just gear). I swear I'm going to think of Elvis impersonators the next time I watch Headbanger's Ball.
              It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I got really lucky with my Bogner Ecstasy. I had sold 2 amps, and added money, and was looking for one. Then, an ad popped up locally for perhaps the best one ever made. I bought it from a wealthy guy, who did some work at Reinholdt Bogner's old location. When Reinholdt was making the best Ecstasies (the loaded ones), he built a batch that were his greatest creations, most of which went to guys like Van Halen, Cantrell, Vai, Satch, Bob Rock, Queensryche, and G. Lynch. They had all the features that the new ones don't, were hand tweaked to Reinholdt's personal satisfaction, and had greek symbols as serial numbers. To find out what number, you have to call Bogner. The first batch was 150. Mine is #138 and may be the only mint one in existence. As far as multi channel amps, there's nothing on earth that comes close.
                It's the very last piece of gear I'll ever part with. Every review you read on harmony-central.com is accurate about this amp. Bogner Ecstasy 101B. There's some dispute about which Ecstasy sounds the best, especially the 100B and Classic. IMO, the original 101B with all options is the best one.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X