banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between Strat manufacture dates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Strat manufacture dates?

Hi everyone...I wonder the differences between strat manufacture dates from 1980's to 1990's and 2000's...For example lets say a 1987-88 strat and 1998-1999 strat...whats the main differences between them...is there any significant difference in tonality?would a 1988~ strat give the classic 80's sound better than a 1999 strat...even if the woods are the same would there be difference???should I buy a 1999 strat or a 1988 strat??thanks guys...
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Re: Differences between Strat manufacture dates?

I dont think there should be a major difference, 'cept for the aged sound. I mean, a strat is a strat, and they all sound pretty much like strats. Now for the playablity issues, or pickups and things thats a different story. There are alot of things that add up, but further down the line, they'll probably sound somewhat different, but not completely. Know what I'm sayin'?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I really don't know, but I suspect the difference depends more on the individual instrument than the difference between 80's or 90's ... of course, like any older instrument, frets might be more of a concern on the older one

there are a couple issues, and I'm really not up on this, but at one point in the 90's, Fender went to the old style logo, which looks nicer, IMO, but of course has no effect on the tone
      the other issue is the TBX control - some liked it, some didn't (I did) ... although that's fairly easy to switch

I can tell pretty quickly if I'll like a strat just by picking it up ... if it feels balanced, and has a decent, somewhat light weight, then I'll check it out acoustically for resonance and playability, then finally plug it in
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

A fellow guitarist and good friend of mine has a great deal of experience with Strats as a professional luthier and owns MANY axes. Tim has preached for years that the best non-vintage (post-CBS years) strats were made from 1979-1993/94. He cites the abundant supplies of quality wood as one of the main sources. Also, around the mid-90's, guitar sales BOOMED creating a demand for guitars ranging from pennies to tens of thousands of dollars. This problem compounded and wood became really expensive. I was recently faced with this EXACT dilemma. I had to chose between a mint 1989 American Deluxe Strat (eBay) for $625 including delivery, a 2001 Standard Strat for $519 (also eBay), or a 4-month old 2003 American Deluxe from a friend for $500. Truth be told, when compared to Tims's 1988 Strat, the 2003 did feel lighter, and the tones were seemingly brighter with less punch. However, since I held the guitar in my hands and didnt have to take the risks with eBay, I was able to decide on the 2003. She has become my pride&joy, and I have plans for completely replacing electronics with complete pickguard so that I can go back original without much fuss. In the end, advice is grand, but you have to go with your instinct. I cringe each time a buy something from eBay, just waiting to get a dud. Making the exchange in person and having a brief retrun period eased the tension of the purchase, and both parties were satisfied.
        BTW, are the Strats the same models but different years? And I assume if you are that informed of your purchase, that these are USA strats?
        ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Dig into this website. It's one of the best I've come across for Fender Strat comparison.

Comment

thanx guys...anyway on saturday I'll go and compare the guitars...also I'll bring my RG570 and compare the 2nd,4th positions with the strats...here in istanbul having a USA made strat is a wonderful thing...its not easy to find one 2nd hand so I'm making up my mind on 1999 USA strat...
            90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
            99' USA Fender Stratocaster
            96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
            79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Working...
            X