which one you prefer SG or LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which one you prefer SG or LP?

I have a SG Standard that I might swap for a LP Classic Double cut. Although some allege that the DC is more or less the same as the SG because of the thin neck. I thought the DC classic was suppose to be warmer sounding because of the maple top, and the mahogany body is a little thicker than the SG standard.

I am looking to have a little of both worlds. Some warmth and depth from the single cut and some of the brightness of the SG and thought the DC classic was it.......

Any thoughts or comments.....Should I keep the SG or should I get the DC Classic (Gold top) with Humbuckers.
    keep the SG Standard
    58.70%
    Get the Les Paul Classic Double cut
    41.30%
    Gear:
    Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
    1988 Strat (copy)
    Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
    Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
    Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Re: which one you prefer SG or LP?

Originally posted by pureoldsound
    I have a SG Standard that I might swap for a LP Classic Double cut. Although some allege that the DC is more or less the same as the SG because of the thin neck. I thought the DC classic was suppose to be warmer sounding because of the maple top, and the mahogany body is a little thicker than the SG standard.

I am looking to have a little of both worlds. Some warmth and depth from the single cut and some of the brightness of the SG and thought the DC classic was it.......

Any thoughts or comments.....Should I keep the SG or should I get the DC Classic (Gold top) with Humbuckers.
    ...I'm not sure, but I think I heard/read that the DC has some hollow chambers in the body? ..So if it's hollow & has a Maple-top, I think it should be brighter than the SG. ..Someone should be along to clear this up, soon.
    A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
    This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

i cant comment because i havent played a DC les paul. but i thought maple was meant to make a guitar brighter not warmer :/

i suggest you go to a place where you can play both guitars through the same amp (preferably your amp) and A B compare
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ
        ...I'm not sure, but I think I heard/read that the DC has some hollow chambers in the body? ..So if it's hollow & has a Maple-top, I think it should be brighter than the SG. ..Someone should be along to clear this up, soon.
        Thanks for the reply, no the the DC is a solid body guitar.
        Gear:
        1988 Strat (copy)
        Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
          i cant comment because i havent played a DC les paul. but i thought maple was meant to make a guitar brighter not warmer :/

i suggest you go to a place where you can play both guitars through the same amp (preferably your amp) and A B compare
          You know I never thought of that. I do remmember other posts saying that Maple does sound brighter????? I guess I'll have to double check. Although I wounder about the regular LPs. They have a maple top and they don't sound that bright, but it could be due to the thickness of the mahogany body and neck....
          Gear:
          1988 Strat (copy)
          Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

These are the contenders:

Shop Les Paul Electric Guitars at Gibson. From the classic Les Paul Standard to the new Les Paul Studio, we've got a guitar for you.

Explore the Gibson SG Collections and find the perfect addition to your guitar collection. Shop now at Gibson.
            Gear:
            1988 Strat (copy)
            Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

I have a LP DC. it is warmer than the SG, thats all there is too it. you have the solid mahagony body with the maple cap working together to give a great balance unlike the solid and thiner mahagony body of the SG.

you also have no weight issues like with the SG. SG's commenly have a problem with being top heavy, the LP will deffinitly not have this problem. so personally i prefer the LP DC over the SG any day

but i might be a little partial

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
                I have a LP DC. it is warmer than the SG, thats all there is too it. you have the solid mahagony body with the maple cap working together to give a great balance unlike the solid and thiner mahagony body of the SG.

you also have no weight issues like with the SG. SG's commenly have a problem with being top heavy, the LP will deffinitly not have this problem. so personally i prefer the LP DC over the SG any day

but i might be a little partial
                yeah they kind of slide down when you play them. Which DC you have the classic, Standard or Faded? what pups you have on them? what colour?
                Gear:
                1988 Strat (copy)
                Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

For what it's worth....the Les Paul Double Cuts have 24 frets whereas the SG's have 22.

Comment

I voted SG but now im not so sure, the DC's are pretty cool but so are the SG's.

I like the SG's better and think that with the right pickup and amp choice you should get decent warmth and depth out of it anyway. But probably not as much as a les paul. Id keep the SG, but try to get a hold of a DC and try one, only then will you truly know what you think.
                    My Soundclick page.

Comment

i prefer the dc over sg. i think it's a lot warmer than sg. i prefer the warmth over brightness though. not sure if dc has too much brightness...
                      Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus Desert Burst
                      Ibanez RG770DX
                      Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
                      Long live ROCK.

Comment

Well I have stock pups on the SG right now. I thought these Gibson pups are pretty dark sounding compared with Seymour or Dimarzio. So there is a definitly a brightness issue with the SG in a good way though.

The Sg will be played through a V-plex (a 1968 replica of the plexi) with a Mesa oversize recto cab (loaded with v-30s and GBs). I wish I could tell you about the results but last Friday I got the V-plex for the first time but UPS did an excellent job to ruin it for me when I find out that the amp was damaged. So, now I have to wait again for the long process of UPS ant its claim to either pay for the fix or issue a check for the claim amount and have another built. AHHHHHHH
                        Gear:
                        1988 Strat (copy)
                        Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w

For Sale:

Comment

I like SG:s more, but for what you're looking for, the LP doublecut might just be the thing.

I'd get something completely different, like a strat or a tele. Just for more versatility.
                          "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
                          "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Never played DC, but you have a wide range of notes opened to you with access to the bottom AND top 24 frets. Also, when chosing a guitar, I try to do the opposite of popular demand. The goldtop DC would definitely be an unique guitar! Who knows, get a record deal, sell a few albums, and in a few years everyone will be buying Goldtop DC les Pauls cause pureoldsound started it all!! LOL!! Without hearing them, the DC is definitley might vote!!
                            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

I say Sg i think the DC LP's looks kidna of ugly. Like a handi cap es 335. If you were going to get a regular LP i'd say LP but in this case SG. Tonally you cant really go wrong with either choice to be honest.
                              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                              X