Vox Valvetronix Series questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Valvetronix Series questions...

I've been terribly gassing for a new amp the past couple months, and, with graduation, will get one. I've really been after a Deville 212, but today I saw some stuff on the Vox Valvetronix series, and it looks reeeeeeallly nice. Looks like what I essentially need in an amp. Cleans up and distorts pretty well. Does anyone have any compliments or criticisms on this amplifier?

Since I'm going off to college, I'm getting a combo. There are four combos, two with 60 watts, two with 120, and one of each has special speakers but is much more expensive. Does anyone have any input on the value of the different speakers? Also, can anyone give me an estimate on how big a gig I could play with 60W, as opposed to 120W? I have a 75W tuber now, so it's different because this is solid with a tube preamp.

Thanks for all your help!

-Jeremy

Re: Vox Valvetronix Series questions...

I have some nice tube amps I use for rehearsal and shows, but had to get realistic about what I could use at home. After considering a bunch of options, I decided to get the Vox AD60 head. They're cheap too! I paid $420 out the door at Sam Ash, since it was too new to find one used, when I bought mine. Used, they go for between $300-$400. I'd highly recommend the head version, since what usually kills a modeler's tone is the particle board cabs and cheap speakers in the combos.
    If you buy a good cabinet like a Marshall, Mesa, or Avatar, the modeler will sound closer to a tube amp, since tube amps are usually mated with better speaker cabs.
    The AD60 is plenty loud, but like many solid state amps, it will hum more at high volumes. If you plan to use it as a band rig, go for the AD120 stereo head.
    For home use, you only need the AD60 on a 2-12 cab. There's 3 features on the Vox amps I love. Variable wattage, so you can go down to 6W,15,30, and 60. The Overdrive models in front of the amp models allows you to tailor the gain structure exactly how you want it. There's a volume control on the headphone out, and the recording out shares that same volume control.

Also, since there's a 12AX7 mini power amp feeding a larger solid state power section, there's a better dynamic feel under your fingers than most other modeling amps.
    The longer I've owned mine, the more I find great tones in it. If I bought it purely based on the tones I found while shopping in the store, I may not have bought it. Like most modeling amps, you've got to spend some time. I love how the Vox is laid out, tho. It looks completely analog from the top panel. The only time you're dealing with LCD's and programming is when you find your tone, then store it. EASY!

The way I see it, a guitarist's arsenal is almost complete by having 1 good speaker cabinet, and a good tube amp for loud situations, and a good modeling amp for low volume practice and silent recording. That way, your cabinet's sound is always familiar, and you can dial the modeler to sound real close to your live rig. If you opt for the Deville, you'll just end up with a loud, clean amp that's still inapropriate for evening practicing. You'd dig the Vox Valvetronix more, for that situation, trust me.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the info, you always know the deal with everything, GJ, rock on!

I gotta go combo though, as I'm going to college, dorms have no space whatsoever as we all know... but the models with the better speakers are supposed to be real awesome. I think I'm gonna go that route.

Thanks again!

-Jeremy

Comment

Yeah, get the small 1-12 combo. If you ever want to upgrade, just buy a Celestion Vintage 30. When set right, you can get everything from a shimmering AC-30 sound all the way to a liquid sustain lead sound. Also, having the FX laid out like a stompbox makes navigating the FX a breeze.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

you think 60W with the high quality speaker will be sufficient, it's a lot of money to upgrade to 120 but if I must, I must.

-Jeremy

Comment

I don't mean to intrude on any advice GJ could give you, but if you're looking for a good practice amp, you won't need the 120 watt version. You're just gonna be jamming out in the dorm room so 60w solid state should be sufficient. Heck, when I was at UConn... I was diming my 100w tube amp in my dorm room
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'm gonna be gigging as well... but, I just read deeper into this amp, and I am officially in trouble. I need it. A lot.

IT MODELS SLASH'S AMP, AHHHHH! AND THE TRIPLE RECTIFIER! AND EVERYTHING ELSE I LOVE... AND SLASH'S AMP!!!

sorry, I know I need help...

Comment

You can always mic the 60w one.

I'd say it'd be a better use of $$ to buy the tricked out 60w version than the basic 120w version.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Hi. try this for a demo

www.valvetronix.co.uk

now I'm thinkin about one
                  This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
                  Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
                  Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
                  Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

yeah, I checked out the demo... it looks AWESOME. If it can do everything from surf to shred, from classical to classic rock, and from country to crazy, I think I need it.

Comment

I've tried all the modeling amps and the vox and line 6 vetta were the only ones worth buying, if your gigging you'll need the 120 watter. Or you might want to go with the valvetronics board set up (same electronics as the amp) and plug into the board at gigs - this smacks in the face of normal playing conventions but if you have a good PA the sound is huge - and you'll save some big bucks! You can always pick up a good mosfet power amp and speaker cab later on down the road if you need a stage rig.

Comment

What about getting the Vox ToneLab SE pedal board for $599 and a Peavey Classic 30 for $450 new?

Check if you can run the Vox ToneLab SE through the Peavey Classic 30. I'm sure someone on here knows.

I have the AD-60 1x12 and I think it's pretty good. Especially for playing at home. But I tried the Peavey Classic 30 recently and it's just seems so much more organic. I had the easiest time dialing in a nice sound. The people with me agreed that it sounds so much better than my AD-60. "Sad but true."

I mean the AD-60 is closest I think you can get in modeling, and you can get some great sounds, but it's not the real thing. That little peavey is a good value. It reminded me of the old school simple Fenders. I wish I hadn't read about them on this board because now I have to buy one, too.

Good luck whatever you decide. You can't go wrong with the Valvetronix but you owe it to yourself to check out a tube amp. Anybody have suggestions to compare the Peavey Classic 30 to?
                        GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                        KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

The singer in my band has one and I'm very impressed with how they sound, and it is capable of getting PLENTY loud, the 60 watter. We've played out with it and it was fine voume wise. Its tone is great.

Comment

Working...
                          X