tele + router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tele + router

i did it! I took a drill to my tele body and outlined an f hole.
    i started routing it out, and it's going to be about an inch deep. then i'm going to carve out some more wood from under the surface around it.

what am i doing???
    Last edited by RushOfBlood; 06-04-2004, 12:20 AM.
    Originally posted by krankguitarist
    And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Re: tele + router

F if I know... My friend carved the whole back side off his Tele, made a 'cat-eye' Ric style hole and is gonna cap the back side.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
    Celestion speakers
    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
    Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by RushOfBlood
      i did it! I took a drill to my tele body and outlined an f hole.
      i started routing it out, and it's going to be about an inch deep. then i'm going to carve out some more wood from under the surface around it.

what am i doing???
      Pics please?
      Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
        F if I know... My friend carved the whole back side off his Tele, made a 'cat-eye' Ric style hole and is gonna cap the back side.
        !!! new inspiration!....wait, what do i use to get the back off and what do i use to reattach it???.............

hahaha i'm an idiot! i'm a mad scientist!!
        And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

Chucko aka Mad Hatter just routed the **** out of his body...he'll 'cap' it off with a new piece of wood.
          Tele guttin'

Celestion speakers
          Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
            To get the back off?Could you post a pic or the model.Is it semi hollow with binding?

PS-Welcome to the world of extreme modding.Word of warning-once you start you'll never want to play stock again.You'll start buying guitars with a "..I can do this to it.." or "..I'm buying it to try this.." mentality.
            nono, it's solid!
            I wish i had some kind of large planer. it'll be a little bit thinner when i'm finished, because i'm making a rather large cut through. i went all the way around with a circular saw, and now i'm just trying to hand saw my way through the remaining wood. gah, this will take forever.

that's why i like cheap guitars!

and butnut, that's pretty much what i'm looking to do, only preserve the original back to cap it off with

Comment

The Existing Cut:

Shut up about the f-hole. i'm not finished with it, i'm trying to get the back off. haha

and this is what's going on as you're viewing this (ignore my drugged out body):

Comment

hehe, ya look like a young Jeff Beck. Man, if you knew someone with a band saw, you could have a perfect slice cut off in minutes. You're damn ambitious, that's for sure...I was like that once upon a time...skinny too. Since you plan to glue that piece back on...DO NOT sand or 'clean up' a 1" border (from outside edge) on either side of that cut. The pieces will fit together much better if the original cut line is unmolested. You can clean up or dig out anything INSIDE your 1" border, just draw a line on the insides with a Sharpie and don't mess with it. After it's glued back, a little putty will hide the cut.
                Make sure you clamp the body well if you plan to use a router...very dangerous if the body moves on ya. If you have a jig saw, you could drill a hole on the 'F' and cut the shape out if you use a thin blade. Good luck and keep us posted.

Celestion speakers
                Too many pedals....

Comment

DON'T LISTEN TO BUTNUT!!!

it clearly states in his signature that he "has no professional training"...

j/k of course...

man...i'm such a wuss...i would never start hacking away on one of my axes....oh wait...i do that every time i pick it up...LOL!!!
                  Originally posted by jeremy
                  God hates bad guitar tone
                  GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                  AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                  EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                  Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
                    hehe, ya look like a young Jeff Beck. Man, if you knew someone with a band saw, you could have a perfect slice cut off in minutes. You're damn ambitious, that's for sure...I was like that once upon a time...skinny too. Since you plan to glue that piece back on...DO NOT sand or 'clean up' a 1" border (from outside edge) on either side of that cut. The pieces will fit together much better if the original cut line is unmolested. You can clean up or dig out anything INSIDE your 1" border, just draw a line on the insides with a Sharpie and don't mess with it. After it's glued back, a little putty will hide the cut.
                    Make sure you clamp the body well if you plan to use a router...very dangerous if the body moves on ya. If you have a jig saw, you could drill a hole on the 'F' and cut the shape out if you use a thin blade. Good luck and keep us posted.
                    ah, what do you mean don't clean them up?
                    i was planning on it, that's why the cut's so sloppy. is it because of the perimeter changes that'll happen if i sand em? that would make sense..hm. Oh, speaking of, what kind of glue would be best? And putty won't help me, you gotta keep in mind i got a transparent finish.

unlessss........NO! no.. no.
                    i'm not that good with a jigsaw either.
                    well really i just have a bad jigsaw, hah.

Comment

hm..maybe i COULD sand it down and stain it. maybe a butterscotch like it is, or maybe a nice dark brown. maybe even a brownish red or a bright white!

Comment

How can I explain...the outer EDGE or sides of the Tele have the 'original' cut line. When the saw blade first touches the wood, the wood is cut on the left and right side of the blade, even if it's crooked after you cut all the way through, if you glue it back together, it will fit semi-tight...like a puzzle. The line may look jagged, but it will meet together fairly close. If you try and clean up the cut, you may have gaps...unless you run both sides through a planer several times to totally level flat both pieces, but you'll lose thickness. So just clean up, sand, route whatever, but stay away from the edge even if it's ugly, it will 'mate' better. Gonna be tough to hide any cut under a transparent finish...maybe a darker edge sunburst, like black edges fade to blonde?
                        Last edited by butnut; 06-05-2004, 01:19 AM.

Celestion speakers
                        Too many pedals....

Comment

Working...
                        X