Question about Jacksons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Jacksons.

What is the difference between the Jackson dinky and the soloist models? And how much do the Pro-series and USA select series run for? I'm gassing for a soloist type guitar.
    MySpace!

2003 Gibson LesPaul Standard(lightburst) JB bridge / Jazz neck

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

2004 ESP LTD Viper-400 (white) EMG-81 set

Marshall DSL50

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Rectifier slant cab loaded with V-30's

Re: Question about Jacksons.

The primary difference between the Dinky and Soloist is that the Soloist is neck-thru and a Dinky is bolt-on. The early 90s neck-thru professional series is on par with USA models quality-wise.

This distinction has become blurred over the years but remains essentially true today.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust
      The primary difference between the Dinky and Soloist is that the Soloist is neck-thru and a Dinky is bolt-on.
      The significance of this is that the Dinky is (IMO) like a smaller, slimmer version of the Strat, while the Soloist is its own animal and more unique to Jackson. That's how I look at it anyway.

If you're only 16, you won't be able to afford a USA Select Series. Unless you're riding mommy and daddy's dime. Chances are you are better off with a nice MIJ model. High quality and still affordable.
      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

The dinky is 7/8 the size of the Soloist, at least that's what Zerb told me, and he is MY authoritaaah on Jacksons. I'm pretty sure that all soloists are neck-thru and the Dinkys are bolts.

I think as to what is better, that is a question of preference. I like both mine sorta the same depending on my mood.

I have one of each. The MIJ dinky has a little more "snap" to it and a little brighter tone with the Rosewood. The USA Soloist (with ebony) has great sustain and is a bit warmer, the frets are smoother and it feels real real solid. Also, the finish is absolutely fantastic.
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Jacksons ROCK. I have an SLSMG Soloist (mahogony/maple-top/neck-through/ebony board), a DK-2 Dinky (alder/bolt-on/rosewood board), and a USA Fusion (alder/bolt-on/ebony board) along with a couple of Fenders and G&Ls. They are my favorite guitars!!! Each has it's own unique characteristics. I would say that the neck through does feel different than the bolt-on's but it's not a question of better or worse, it's more a question of what you like. I use each in situations where I can take advantage of a particular guitar's character. I also agree with what JammerMatt said. Peace
          Last edited by frankencat; 06-03-2004, 04:39 PM.
          Owner:
          Slamo Custom Guitars
          Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Japanese jacksons are awesome instruments! I have one and im never going to get rid of it, ever!
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

Thanks alot guys. Sometime soon I really want to pick up a Jackson syle guitar. I guess all signs are pointing to a MIJ dinky for me. After taking looks at the Jackson time constantly, right now I'm considering both the MG DK27 and the MG DKMGT

Originally posted by kill your scene
              If you're only 16, you won't be able to afford a USA Select Series. Unless you're riding mommy and daddy's dime. Chances are you are better off with a nice MIJ model. High quality and still affordable.
              I wish! Yea, I provide the funds for pretty much most of my gear. The only pieces of equipment that I didn't pay for, were my strat, which was a post-operation/ 8th grade graduation present that my parents got me and that was 4 years ago. The other piece I didnt pay for was my cabinet which I got for birthday/christmas present. (my birthday is around christmas.)

I'm thinking the MIJ is the way to go also. Thanks for the help.
              MySpace!

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

Marshall DSL50

Comment

No problem. Incidentally, MIJ Jacksons are a great bargain....most of them only cost 7 or 8 hundred, whereas the US models will run way way over a grand. The DKMGT and SLSMG I highly recommend.

Keep in mind that the DK27 has a 27" scale length, so only get it if you're tuning way down. Also, it might be wise to check out the Jackson/Charvel Forums. Some of the guys there are total jerks (and they're all well over 40 ) but you might pick up a deal or at least some valuable info.

BTW - Where in the city do you guys play?
                It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
                  Japanese jacksons are awesome instruments! I have one and im never going to get rid of it, ever!
                  Word! My MIJ was about 600 several years back. Since that I've acquired an LP and the USA soloist. Still, everytime I pick up that lightweight Dinky and play through the JB/Jazz combo I think what a fantastic deal that guitar was. Some days it outplays them both when I'm in that mood.

-Matt
                  Originally posted by Scott_F
                  On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                    The dinky is 7/8 the size of the Soloist, at least that's what Zerb told me, and he is MY authoritaaah on Jacksons. I'm pretty sure that all soloists are neck-thru and the Dinkys are bolts.....
                    Thanks, Matt. But, EHm, Stop the Presses, misquote

A dinky is 7/8 the size of a Strat, not a soloist. The Soloist, as KYS stated, is a "jacksonized" shape, still a bit larger than a Dinky though

I play the USA versoins of both more or less exclusively and am constantly switching back and forth between the soloists fatness and playability and the Dinkyīs articulate response.
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene

BTW - Where in the city do you guys play?
                      I'm from Staten Island. But right now my band is in pretty much about to fall apart due to stupid teen age fights. Where are you from?
                      MySpace!

Marshall DSL50

Comment

Warning about cheap Jacksons if you like to tune down....
                        I had a PS4, which was the cheap $400 import model about 6 years ago. It was killer, until I started using heavy strings and tuning down to Z. I stuck a set of 13-60 GHS on it, and was down in the drop B, B flat, A range, and the neck just went to poop. It warped all over the place, and several frets started popping out. No amount of truss rod adjustment helped, either. I know this could be due to other factors, but the 4 other guitars (2 ESPs, a Schecter & Ibanez) have NEVER had any problems from the heavy string/low tuning setup.

Again, this does not pertain to nicer Jackson guitars, which all seem to be great. Just the cheap-****e ones
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                          I had a PS4, which was the cheap $400 import model about 6 years ago. It was killer, until I started using heavy strings and tuning down to Z. I stuck a set of 13-60 GHS on it, and was down in the drop B, B flat, A range, and the neck just went to poop. It warped all over the place, and several frets started popping out. No amount of truss rod adjustment helped, either. I know this could be due to other factors, but the 4 other guitars (2 ESPs, a Schecter & Ibanez) have NEVER had any problems from the heavy string/low tuning setup.

Again, this does not pertain to nicer Jackson guitars, which all seem to be great. Just the cheap-****e ones
                          That was a problem of the korean Performers, the earlier Japanese Performers didnīt have those symptoms. The problem has since been alleviated (read: there are no performers anymore )
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell

I believe stings over 10 destroys the neck, but it takes a while...

Comment

All I know about Jacksons is, I want one.

Scratch that, I want SEVERAL.

-X
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X