Tuneomatic bridge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuneomatic bridge question

Hey guys...my new Hamer is the first guitar I've had with a fixed bridge, so I'm hoping someone can tell me the purpose of the raising or lowering the tailpiece. Am I correct in assuming that this is done to increase or decrease the angle at which the strings reach the bridge? If so, what is the advantage/disadvantage of having a greater angle, and approximately how should it be adjusted for the average player? Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Tuneomatic bridge question

I think its also to simply raise and lower the action of the strings. Someone like SRV would use fairly large strings and hit them hard, so he might want the action raised higher than someone like me, that tends to use lower gauge strings and plays lightly.

Comment

you have to be careful in having too much down pressure on the TOM if the angle to the tail piece is too severe ... the little posts that hold the TOM to the body can actually buckle / bend under the tension .. i've seen a pic of this in one of Dan Erlewine's books about guitar repair and it looks nasty to try to repair

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I like my tailpeice off the body about 1/4"...I've experimented and found I got more sustain with the stop peice up a bit...This also lessens the overall tension exerted on the bridge and the string tension..You also need to make sure that your strings do not contact the rear of your bridge while they head out of the tailpeice and up and over the rear of the bridge or you'll lose tone and sustain..Experiment and see what works for you and don't get too caught up in screwing the stop peice all the way to the body..I've tryed all that and prefer the stop peice up a bit...YMMV?
        John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the help guys.

Ryan

Comment

by moving the tailpiece up and down you can increase tension (sustain) and decrease the angle of break over the bridge (to lessen string breakage)
            i keep my bass end closer to the body and my treble end higher up so i break less hihg E strings and keep my low end fuller

just my deal
            Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
            Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
            www.gaugeguitars.com
            Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
              by moving the tailpiece up and down you can increase tension (sustain) and decrease the angle of break over the bridge (to lessen string breakage)
              i keep my bass end closer to the body and my treble end higher up so i break less hihg E strings and keep my low end fuller

just my deal
              Yes it's basically dealing with physics and it's effects on tone..
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

One last question...in Dan Erlewine's book, he mentions that he likes the idea of stringing up a Tuneomatic so that the strings wrap around and come over the top of the tailpiece. Has anyone tried stringing a Tuneomatic this way, and does it really offer any advantage over the standard stringing method? Thanks.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                  One last question...in Dan Erlewine's book, he mentions that he likes the idea of stringing up a Tuneomatic so that the strings wrap around and come over the top of the tailpiece. Has anyone tried stringing a Tuneomatic this way, and does it really offer any advantage over the standard stringing method? Thanks.

Ryan
                  Cosmetically it looks tacky and it makes the string tension loose and weird to me...I didn't get along with it at all.

John

Comment

I have my Standard wrapped. It lets you get the tailpiece down lower with out increasing the angle of the strings going over the TOM. It's different but I can't quantify the differences other than the string tension is a little lower.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14

Ryan
                      I do it. I like it because I have more string behind the saddles to rest my hand on, which gives me more control over my palm mutes.

I don't know if it makes a big difference to sustain or not, all I really cared about was getting better/thicker palm mutes.
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Zakk Wylde has that on his guitars. Im going to try it myself in the next string change after reading this!

Comment

I like the way my guitars sound with the bar all the way down. As far as wrapping around the tailpiece, that depends on the guitar. My old '77 Custom sounded great with the wrap-around. I thought my Explorer sounded awful that way, and it didn't make much of a difference on my Standard.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline

just my deal
                            I do that same exact thing on one that I have, helps to tighten up the low E a bit (short scale guitar), so say they hear a difference in harmonics too, because of the extra tension ... could be?
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I have mine wrapped as well. So the tail is almost flush!

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                              X