banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why overdrive is good to push the amp overdrive channel? why a dist no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why overdrive is good to push the amp overdrive channel? why a dist no?

I use a Metal zone through the overdrive channel of a hot rod deluxe and sounds nice for leads and +- for rithm

Re: Why overdrive is good to push the amp overdrive channel? why a dist no?

that works, or you could run a boost through your metal zone.. amp gain isnt the greatest
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
      amp gain isnt the greatest
      You'll change your tune once you get a decent amp and get used to playing it.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Just think of it as a balance beam effect. The gain on the amp shakes the hand of the gain on the pedal. I think the best tones come from that formula, because sometimes the added presence of the pedal makes the guitar cut through better.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Plenty of people use distortion pedals to overdrive their amps. Boss DS-1's, Big Muff's, Proco Rat,........
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

which do you prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by mmguz
              which do you prefer?
              Right now? Nothing. All amp distortion.

I normally use a TS-9, but it's not reacting with my Rectifier the way I'd like, so I'm looking to try out a DS-1/2, Rat, SD-1, and Wylde Overdrive.

Comment

That's how I do it, I set my amp's volume so it's just barely breaking up with the volume on full, or perfectly clean with the volume down a bit, and then use my DS-1 for some really intense distortion.

I think you've just gotta keep trying different things until you figure out what works, y'know?

-X
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                  Right now? Nothing. All amp distortion.

I normally use a TS-9, but it's not reacting with my Rectifier the way I'd like, so I'm looking to try out a DS-1/2, Rat, SD-1, and Wylde Overdrive.
                  I don't think tube screamers work the best with high gain drive. I think they work best either making a perfectly clean amp a little gritty or taking a slightly overdriven amp over to distortion, but that's JMHO. Mesa Rectos seem to be either clean or insanely distorted with difficulty getting it to have just a little overdrive. Perhaps on the tube screamer you should set the tone pretty far up and keep the drive relatively low (may work, but I don't have a recto here to try it out on).
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

for my amp to really distort i either my new sd-1 or my ds-1 into a super reverb, i'm getting a keeley modded metal zone pretty soon though.
                    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

fusion101 you don't like the Fab Tone?! Blasphemy!

I have a single channel amp and I like it clean so I don't really push my amp just distort the waveform going into it rather than amplifying the signal tremendously.
                      Jazzmaster Owner

My eBay Auctions

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                        I don't think tube screamers work the best with high gain drive.
                        That's what I'm figuring out.

It works well overdriving the clean channel. I set my cleans so they're clean when played normally, but high enough to push the power amp when I bare down on the strings. The TS-9 is good at pushing the channel into overdrive without needing to mash the strings.

The dirt channel however just turns into a sloppy mess. I like huge mids, but it's a little too much. I tried lots of different settings, including the ones you suggested, but to no avail.

Mesa Rectos seem to be either clean or insanely distorted with difficulty getting it to have just a little overdrive.
                        You can get a sweet overdrive on the clean channel with the output knob pegged and the gain turned down, but the dirt channel is all about gain and doesn't really do overdrive all that well

I'd keep the TS-9 for cleans, but I want one that'll do both channels....

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                          that works, or you could run a boost through your metal zone.. amp gain isnt the greatest
                          amp gain is the greatest. have you ever cranked a 100 watt marshall? you will know what i meen.
                          Down at the edge, close by a river.
                          Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                          Close to the end, down by the corner.
                          Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

yea i just plug straight in.....aint nothng like plugging into a nice tube amp and cooking up some tubes and listening to it scream, wail, and moan
                            Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                            Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                            Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                            Crate VC-3112
                            Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                            Fender Bassman 60

Comment

I use my old boss od-1 set for boost on my twin reverb through USA strat and on the 4th position I get the crunchy classic strat rhythm tone as you can hear in many recordings in the 80's...I also use it to boost TS808 & Chandler TubeDriver mode in my Line 6 DM-4 modeler...analog and pure sound all the way!!!
                              90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
                              99' USA Fender Stratocaster
                              96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
                              79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Working...
                              X