Grover locking tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grover locking tuners

Hey guys, has anyone tried the Grover 18:1 locking tuners? I'm thinking of trying a set of locking tuners, but I'm not sure which brand to go with: Grover, Schaller, Sperzel, or Planet Waves. Anyone have a preference among those brands? I'm pretty sure the headstock on my Hamer is already drilled for 10 mm holes, so that shouldn't be a problem. Regardless of which brand I go with, I think I'm going to let a good tech do the installation, since locking tuners usually require an extra hole. I've read that the Grovers are a little different, anyone know if they require an extra hole to be drilled? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Grover locking tuners

Personal opinions aside, I still stand by Sperzel and Schallers ...period!
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Humphrey Bear
      I ordered a set of Schaller locking tuners for my custom Jackson. I will be using Grover locking tuners on my Jackson Kelly and Sperzel locking tuners on my Epiphone Explorer. One of each, that is the best way.
      I just like the Grovers better because the locking mechanism is internal and automatic.
      I just can't stand anything that Grover makes ... they might be great tuners, but there is something about them that I just can't stand ... for me, Sperzels or Schallers.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I have them on my LP Studio and really like 'em! It never goes out of tune.

Cheers Primo.
        GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

Thanks guys...after some further research and an email sent to Hamer's customer service, I ordered a set of Schallers. Grover or Sperzel locking tuners would've involved drilling new screw holes in the headstock, while the Schallers should be a direct replacement.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

i vote for the grovers - all the guys who's guitars i've put them on love em
            no extra hole required (unless the screw is in a different place from your current tuners

they don't use hte thumb scres like schaller or sprezel, just pull the string and turn the peg, and they lock
            pretty cool

Cheers
            Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
            Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
            www.gaugeguitars.com
            Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X