Gassing for an SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gassing for an SG

When I went shopping for monitors 2 weeks ago at Guitar Center, I came across a Gibson Faded SG that caught my eye. I didn't get to play it, but I can't keep it off of my mind.

How do these compare to other SG's, especially SG specials? Is there anything with SG's that I should look out for? How are the pickups? I'm really looking for a guitar with pickups in the 59/Seth Lover range.

My other choice is to build some sort of Warmoth creation with a Korina body and a 25.5 maple/rosewood neck with a 59 or some sort of lower output humbucker in the bridge.
    This machine kills fascists

Re: Gassing for an SG

I think they're great, but you've got to watch out for bad fretwork.

Comment

I've been reading up on SG's on the Warmoth site and it appears that the Warmoth SG body is thicker than a Gibson SG body.
      It's your choice of course but for the money I think the Warmoth seems to have more bang for the buck with more options. If you don't mind a bolt on neck of course and the fact that it's not a real Gibson. I have no experience with Warmoth however.
      I've been told by some forum members here to stay away from the faded ones mainly because of the bad fretwork.

Comment

I have a Gibson SG special in wine red that I've been looking to sell (I want a Sitar). If you're interested, or want to know more about the guitar pm me or leave a message here or something
        Fender Stratocaster - EMG 81/85 (camo)
        Ibanez RG550 - Invader (b)
        Taylor 110E Acoustic
        Traynor YCV 20
        Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Comment

i have the sg special its a pretty rockin sg! some may say the cosmetics slow you down, but i disagree, it doesnt really affect me. The sound is amazing stock same pickups as higher end gibsons, plsu you get the great craftmanship. Id take the sg over the best epi les paul any day!

Comment

i can't think of an SG i've played that i didn't like....an SG is definately going to be my next guitar
            gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
            '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
            mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
            marshall 1960A 4x12
            and a few pedals

Comment

Hmmm...maybe I'll go and play one and check it out. The only thing I won't be able to do is to compare it side-by-side with my current guitars playing through my own rig.

Doesn't Guitar Center have a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy? If I like it in the store, maybe I can take it home over the weekend for test drive, and if I like it, I'll keep it.
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

SGs are definitely up there with my favorite instruments. Not all of them are great, but I own more of them than I do anything else. They're just really responsive and user friendly instruments.
                www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

yes they do. thats what i love about that place. thats the only thing i like about that place though....
                  Down at the edge, close by a river.
                  Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                  Close to the end, down by the corner.
                  Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

SG's are cool. A great rock axe (I mean, How could Angus be wrong?)

My advice is to forget a new "faded" model and look for a used SG Standard. You can probaly find one for around $700 if you look around - it'll be a more solid guitar.
                    The Band:
                    www.myspace.com/hawkandroll

Comment

I don't like faded SG's I've played 4 different ones (3 brown and 1 red) and none of them really felt very good or had phenomenal fretwork. My '96 SG Special on the other hand, is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. The stock pickups are a little weak, especially the bridge. I've got a 59/C5 set that rocks pretty hard in there now. So, yes get an SG, but no, don't get a faded model. (unless you happen to stumble apon a diamond in the rough, so to speak)

Comment

i happened to have found one of those "diamond in the rough" faded sg specials. i havent played another faded sg since that has played like mine. perfect fretwork, perfect fit and finish. it was one of the earlier ones, so that might have had something to do with it, i dunno. i just put a JB in the bridge and that made it even better. if you can find a good faded sg, go for it, if not, try for a regular special. or a used standard.
                        Fender John Mayer Strat
                        Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
                        PRS Soapbar II SE
                        Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
                        Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

I hated the Faded I played. It's body and neck felt terribly cheap and I didn't like its frets one bit. To me, I would rather get an Epi SG or save for a Standard, because I feel the Faded is a guitar bought for the Gibson logo on the headstock.

Comment

Working...
                          X