marshall 100watt in a small club.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall 100watt in a small club.....

on saturday we are playing in a small club(max 100-120 capacity) and the problem is that they are using a marshall jcm900 higain dual reverb head.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apart from the fact that i don't like that amp my problem is how am i going to get a decent sound(distortion guise) out of 100watts in a small place.Jcm900 are fizzy sounding even at high volume levels.....so imagine how it will sound if i use it in less than half the way up.I don't use any distortion pedals(and i do not own any) before the amp and i like to get my distortion from the amp.....So is there a way i can use it in a lower volume setting and get a decent distortion sound???(i remember last time i have used a jcm900 i turned the treble knob at a setting of 2...!!!!!!!!!!).I cannot carry my own amp and we do not have powerbrakes e.t.c.From what i know the jcm900(the 100watt version) has a switch that lowers the output at 50watts......is this going to help?Any other tips????

Re: marshall 100watt in a small club.....

It actually sounds worse loud, the filtering is a joke on those amps!!!
    Even a Plexi sounds way better at low volumes, and they like volume.
    Borrow an eq pedal and try to fat up that sucker....bah live with the bad sound and hope that you do not have to do that again

Comment

Pretty simple solution: Don't use an EQ, it'll kill whatever is left of your tone. If you have absolutely NO choice as to amp, I say: Don't stress over it, as most people will be there to enjoy your playing, and not to analyze your tone. If anyone complains, tell 'em "Hey: look what I had to work with". You could do worse than a JCM900, believe me!!

Here's what you do:

Go into the hi sensitivity input, if the amp has one. Set the Presence to about 7-8, max. Turn the reverb OFF. EQ the amp: BASS 2, MID 3, HI 2. If you're playing hi-gain stuff, use the boost channel, but DO NOT scoop the mids w/that silly button they have! Set the gain to 5. Then use and overdrive in front of the amp. Use the Tone on the OD to adjust the top end of the frequency spectrum. You will be suprised at how good a sound you can get.

Best of all, don't stress! Just remember why you're out there + have a great time!!
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 06-08-2004, 04:20 PM.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If it was a JCM800 and not the frigging 900 as he posted Twillight

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
          If it was a JCM800 and not the frigging 900 as he posted Twillight
          Nah, the rules of thumb still apply. Won't be as good, but it's live. Like I said, you can complain about it & not play, or play the show and suck it up.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hehe yeah, I would do that....maybe just dail in some "fun" sound and never mind...best thing, just concentrate on playing and have fun.

Comment

Working...
            X