1. Gibson NECK covers will fit SD neck AND bridge pickups
    2. The volume pots were 500k LINEAR taper
    3. The tone pots were 500k AUDIO taper
    Had to swap them around
    4. Standard size pots will not fit, had to use the "dime" size pots
    Couldn't use CTS pots
    5. The gibson 3 way will not fit a Epi, the threaded collar is too shallow
    left it the way it is for now, have to find an Epi 3 way toggle
    6. The Gibson toggle knob will not fit the Epi switch, had to dunk it in cofee

I think the only thing that is interchangeable between Gibson and Epis are strings

If you guys upgrade your Epis be prepared for some "Aw shucks" moments
    Can't wait to change the tuners and bridge/tailpiece
    Dom L
    1997 Roadhouse Strat
    2005 Eric Clapton Strat
    2007 Martin 000-28EC
    2007 Parts-o-Caster

Re: Weird Epi things to know

nothing a drill and 10 bucks cant fix though.
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

damn, yes fan beat me to it. I'd just drill bigger holes and route it out. Unless you dont have a router, then you're kinda screwed.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Cool stuff to know, on behalf of all Epi owners - thanks for the heads up!

Comment

From reading your sig I'm guessing your talking about an Epi Les Paul. I wonder if the SG's are the same way. Either way thanks for the tips.
          -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
          Vox VT15
          Washburn D10SCE
          Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

The stock Epi pup rings are wider than Gibson, the knobs have a different shaft (metric?) and Gibson knobs won't fit, yes, the toggle tip is a different size (metric?) and I think the bridge/tail will be different from a Gibson too. I made some changes to an Epi LP I sold long ago...and I'll be getting another soon.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
            Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
            Celestion speakers
            Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
            Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by yes-fan
              nothing a drill and 10 bucks cant fix though.
              BECAREFUL!!!!

It not easy do drill a propper hole in an already drilled hole on wood. It sound extrange i know . When you work with wood it is easy to just drill a hole of any diameter you want (if you have apropiated tools). BUT when a hole it is already make you CAN'T make it bigger with a bigger drill. The drill has a small nail of its end that helps to guide it staight thru the wood. If the hole it is already made the is no wood that can guide this nail of the drill. The result it is a hole that won't be circular.

The easiest solution it is to file the hole. Or ask a luthier to do it

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
                BECAREFUL!!!!

It not easy do drill a propper hole in an already drilled hole on wood. It sound extrange i know . When you work with wood it is easy to just drill a hole of any diameter you want (if you have apropiated tools). BUT when a hole it is already make you CAN'T make it bigger with a bigger drill. The drill has a small nail of its end that helps to guide it staight thru the wood. If the hole it is already made the is no wood that can guide this nail of the drill. The result it is a hole that won't be circular.

The easiest solution it is to file the hole. Or ask a luthier to do it
                I use a tapered reamer costs about 18 bucks at the hardware store
                Invaluable tool
                Dom L
                1997 Roadhouse Strat
                2005 Eric Clapton Strat
                2007 Martin 000-28EC
                2007 Parts-o-Caster

Comment

actually, if you tape off around the hole, then drill, you'll be fine. just make sure that you have something on the other end to "recieve" the bit, so that you dont completely tear up your guitar. Or, you could just buy a reamer like Dom did.
                  This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Must be the year your Epi was made. I had no problems with installing a Gibson 3-way, or standard pots in my axe, which I think is a '93 Standard.
                    The only reaming I had to do to the guitar was when I installed Sperzel locking tuners in place of the stock, and very low quality tuners.
                    Another item I think that isn't interchangeable though, is the bridge. I think the studs in the bodys are different sizes.

About the reaming, whatever anybody does don't take an electric drill to your headstock's pegholes. It would be too easy to splinter the wood around the holes and really mess up the finish. Definitely use a reaming tool.
                    Last edited by midnite_man; 06-09-2004, 05:44 PM.

Comment

yup the bridges arent interchangable, but companys like tonepro's make replacement bridges for imports. ive drilled probably almost a hundred guitars and never really had a problem with making a hole bigger. you do need a quality drill (press) and bit

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                        actually, if you tape off around the hole, then drill, you'll be fine. just make sure that you have something on the other end to "recieve" the bit, so that you dont completely tear up your guitar. Or, you could just buy a reamer like Dom did.
                        Dude, I don't want to even partially tear up any guitar of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                          yup the bridges arent interchangable, but companys like tonepro's make replacement bridges for imports. ive drilled probably almost a hundred guitars and never really had a problem with making a hole bigger. you do need a quality drill (press) and bit
                          I agree with using a variable speed drill-press and high quality bit to drill or ream the holes, as a Luthier might....I was referring to those who might think it was okay to just grab up a hand-drill and start reaming their guitar's headstock out. I'm sure you can agree that is not an advisable course of action to take.

-Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X