? for STRATDELUXER97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for STRATDELUXER97

I have read about your mods to the ts-9. I have a original ts-9 from the early 80's i think I got it in '84 for $15.00 at a close out sale. I also have 2 metal screamers (msl). http://www.greatguitars.com.au/ibane...reamer_msl.htm
    they all have the 4558 chips. Do you recomend messing with the older "vintage" pedals, or would you recomend getting a reissue and having it modded?

the metal screamer is a little more gritty sounding and lends itself to boosting a rhythm sound. It gives it a bit more grit. I sould usually use it when I played predominantly heavier rock, or metal. I used it to get a real metal gritty rhythm sound out of a jcm 800. Hit the switch and palm mute away. It had lead applications, I just usually used the ts-9 for leads.

Advice for everyone else, the MSL is a great pedal, and you can pick them up used for 15-60 dollars. I would highly reccomend them for anyone that plays heavy and wants a little more grind out of your amp. I usually set it using a clean channel. In doing this I would set it so it made the clean channel sound gritty (it is hard to explain it doesn't really overdrive the channel the way i set it, although it can be set to drive the channel). Then with that same setting i would run it through a dirty rhythm sound dialed up on a 800,and I had a metalica/slayer rhythm sound. interesting pedal.
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Re: ? for STRATDELUXER97

Originally posted by 54stratlover
    I have read about your mods to the ts-9. I have a original ts-9 from the early 80's i think I got it in '84 for $15.00 at a close out sale. I also have 2 metal screamers (msl). http://www.greatguitars.com.au/ibane...reamer_msl.htm
    they all have the 4558 chips. Do you recomend messing with the older "vintage" pedals, or would you recomend getting a reissue and having it modded?

the metal screamer is a little more gritty sounding and lends itself to boosting a rhythm sound. It gives it a bit more grit. I sould usually use it when I played predominantly heavier rock, or metal. I used it to get a real metal gritty rhythm sound out of a jcm 800. Hit the switch and palm mute away. It had lead applications, I just usually used the ts-9 for leads.

Advice for everyone else, the MSL is a great pedal, and you can pick them up used for 15-60 dollars. I would highly reccomend them for anyone that plays heavy and wants a little more grind out of your amp. I usually set it using a clean channel. In doing this I would set it so it made the clean channel sound gritty (it is hard to explain it doesn't really overdrive the channel the way i set it, although it can be set to drive the channel). Then with that same setting i would run it through a dirty rhythm sound dialed up on a 800,and I had a metalica/slayer rhythm sound. interesting pedal.
    The original TS9s have the right chip and can still benefit from the 808 output stage mods and tweaking of the circuit for more lowend and more gain,but only if you require more gain with yours? A TS9 always benefits from the mods though.

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Cool. I have been hearing about your mods, and was thinking about getting a reissue having it modded. May have to get ahold of you in the future to put your skills to work.
      Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
      SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Cool. I have been hearing about your mods, and was thinking about getting a reissue having it modded. May have to get ahold of you in the future to put your skills to work.
        Anytime buddy...Just shoot me an IM if I can help....Get yourself a later TS9 and mod that...Same pedal that get's the 808 changes and then we tweak it for more lows and more gain if thats what you'd like?

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

You da man, John!

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
            You da man, John!

No yooda Man Bobby!

John

Comment

I currently am using a TS9 reissue. Can you give me any idea tonally what the difference in sound would be between the TS9 & the TS808 RI? I know describing tone is very difficult, but maybe What artist used the two different pedals so I can figure it out on my own. I have Emailed John about a Wah pedal(which I still have sitting here on my desk and have not sent him yet) and am curious as weather I should go buy a 808 or mod my Ts9! For the most part I am pretty happy with my TS9, but like every body else we are always looking to improve tone!! THanks for your input, and sorry for jumping in on your thread!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                I currently am using a TS9 reissue. Can you give me any idea tonally what the difference in sound would be between the TS9 & the TS808 RI? I know describing tone is very difficult, but maybe What artist used the two different pedals so I can figure it out on my own. I have Emailed John about a Wah pedal(which I still have sitting here on my desk and have not sent him yet) and am curious as weather I should go buy a 808 or mod my Ts9! For the most part I am pretty happy with my TS9, but like every body else we are always looking to improve tone!! THanks for your input, and sorry for jumping in on your thread!
                Dave...Basically the 808 sounds more open and seems to react in a more natural tubelike way because of the way the 808's output section is setup...The 808 also has the better sounding chip...Both pedals sound good but the TS9(Later ones)seem harsher and thinner sounding to me...The 808 has a bit more output that some people percieve as more gain because of just 2 resistors in the output section of the 808 that are lower in values..Basically the pedals are so close to each other after the opamp and 2 resistors other than the case and switch differences..The 808's output section was originally setup to match up better with the input of a tube amp...When the TS9 came out,there was some reliability issues with the original chips and the output resistors,so Ibanez used the TA57778 opamp for relaibility figuring no one would hear the difference...The later output resistors used in the TS9 may have been better suited to match up with SS amps? Not sure why those values changed?

Let's then say that the 808 is smoother and more open sounding with a nice natural overdriven tone...

The TS9 is more on the bright/harsh sound on later TS9s...Early TS9s are basically 808s though...There's a certain weirdness that Lew mentions with the later TS9s and you'll have to read again how Lew explained it...Lew is a master at explaining these things...I think I'm looking at both pedals in a modder's point of view or the technical side of it...You don't have to spend $169 on a reissue 808 to get great TS tone though,especially as most players are on a budget...A TS9 is also a nice pedal as is the Maxon stuff from what I'm told?

John

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  Anytime buddy...Just shoot me an IM if I can help....Get yourself a later TS9 and mod that...Same pedal that get's the 808 changes and then we tweak it for more lows and more gain if thats what you'd like?

John
                  counds cool I will lok for a fair priced ts-9

Comment

counds cool I will lok for a fair priced ts-9
                    You'll find $70 to be about the average...Musician's Friend will charge you $99 for a brand new one....The reissue 808 is $169.99 and a great pedal...You could have 2 TS9s for that price though?

John

Comment

Working...
                    X