ear protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ear protection

I really need to do this - if I lose my hearing, I will never forgive myself - my passion, gone... and for such a pathetic reason. Thanks for the reminder. (As if the ringing isn't enough!!) :P

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
      That's correct, they only provide a few decibels of attenuation at most. If you're using cotton balls, you're fooling yourself into a false sense of security.

Ryan

Then I've been in a false sense of security for years. Thanks for telling me now, Ryan LOL !!!! Seriously though, the thing I find most annoying to my ears are the cymbals, which I stay as far away from as possible. I'm usually spread pretty far from the Drummer, and over the years, as sound systems and monitors have gotten better, I've found that the overall stage volume has followed suit. Also, I learned early on that sound QUALITY is much more important than sound QUANTITY. I do agree with you that today's ear protection is MUCH better, I wish we would have had it all along. I highly recommend that the younger players out there take full advantage of today's technology in protecting your hearing !!! I also agree that the volume knobs need to come DOWN LOL !!! Now, what were you saying, ...eh???? LOL !!!! ...........
      Last edited by 59paul; 06-11-2004, 10:17 PM.
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I bought myself some chemist earplugs, plastic rubber ones which fit really well inside my ears and definitely provide a decent amount of protection but im pretty sure the frequencies i hear are pretty different.

I remember one rehearsal i forgot my earplugs and the drummer stuffed my hearing up for a few days and i still think to this day ive got slightly worse hearing in my right ear...and yes every now and then i have trouble hearing people, and it sucks.

Although its not bad yet, its still not the best anymore and for the past year or so ive been finding myself saying "excuse me, say that again" lots and lots more than i used to.

I really notice it when i go to clubs and live shows these days more than i used to that my ears start ringing much easier and keep ringing for a while. After some live shows my hearing seriously stuffs up for a while after it.

Ive really gotta take my earplugs to every loud thing i go to, but taking them to clubs when you're trying to impress girls isnt the coolest thing in the world. Its a stupid excuse for someone whos ears are important as they are to us, but come on, it aint cool in a club. Its just that cos i might have damaged my ears a little already club levels start to annoy them.

That turned out a lot longer than i thought it would
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

What about these custom earplugs? They sound expensive, whats so good about them? Do they let you actually hear properly whats going on without it being as loud as it is without them.
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

Wow, that SPL chart is very interesting, AND very sobering!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
              What about these custom earplugs? They sound expensive, whats so good about them? Do they let you actually hear properly whats going on without it being as loud as it is without them.
              They have a flat response, meaning they don't attenuate in one frequency any more than any other. So you're hearing the music accurately.

Also, you can easily swap filters. However, I just stick with the 15dB ones. I talked to an expert at the House Ear Institute in LA (where I got mine fitted) and she told me that 15dB is all you need for rock concerts.

They also go in and out of your ears easily (no two-handed pulling your ear back, rolling the foam and waiting for it to uncompress) and they're flesh-colored.

Plus, all the rock stars use them.
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat
                how many of you where ear protection when playin (especially when cranking your amp)? i just got a set of those hearos ear plugs from guitar center, they work really well and were cheap.
                i use the exact same kind, got em a few days ago - they're awesome! only a fiver and my ears no longer hurt after a practise (which imo is worse than playing a gig as your all in a small space)
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Working...
                X