careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• careers

what are some careers in the field of guitars n stuff? i wanna do something with guitars and i know there are alot of different jobs for different companies but i dont know what they are. can u guys list some jobs that deal with guitars and what college classes can be taken for them.

(im talking about like 'the making or production' of guitars...not like retailing them)

thanks
    we can be heroes

Re: careers

in addition to lutherie (which is highly cool), you can also be a writer, reviewing gear (or CDs or concerts) ... you can be a photographer, a do shots of them and/or their owners .. you can learn digital signal processing (electrical engineering / computer science) and write software or design algorithms that performs modeling or other effects ... you can learn analog signal processing and be a boutique amp designer/builder/modder ... you can go to music school and be a guitar teacher or write instructional material (books / DVDs / columns / etc) ...

i am getting sleepy, so this is what i thought up off the top of my head - i bet there's more

good luck,
    cheers
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

what is lutherie?
      we can be heroes

Comment

Originally posted by castiron
        what is lutherie?
        Fancy name for someone who makes/carves stuff out of wood and works with wood.
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

You could learn the technical and repair stuff and be a famous guy's guitar tech.

"Travel the world, they said"...

Comment

you can also go the path i have chosen in the feild of audio engineering

this is basically all the guys behind the mixing boards and sound crew in general.. this can also lead to producing once your name is out there with what you can do on the boards

the jobs that are possible with this feild are pretty wide and include:
            -stadiums
            -auditoriums
            -theatres
            -studios
            -tv production
            -radio

and tons of others..

to get into the feild, its wise to go to a school for sound engineering.. berklee has a nice program, then again many other colleges also have this in their ciriculm (spelling)

Comment

There are several lutherie schools in the USA. The biggest is Roberto Venn in Arizona. The company that owns ESP guitars has a Guitar Craft Academy in Hollywood. And some builders like Harry Fleischman and Ervin Symogyi in Northern California teach lutherie or else take on apprentices.

As for me and how I got here, I think it had more to do with luck than anything else. I studied philosophy in college (UCLA) and my background was in law and television production. But, I've played in bands forever and I knew the Seymour Duncan product line inside and out before I applied for a job. But when it comes down to it, there was probably more luck involved than in Derek Fisher's 0.4 shot against the Spurs.

Looking back, I probably would've been more prepared for this job if I had studied less hardcore academic stuff and more woodshop and electronics -- and gone on the road for a year with my band. On the other hand, all that hardcore study made me who I am today with the mental abilities I possess.

My advice: Learn as much about the field as you can. If you can get an internship at a company that does what you're interested in, go for it. Find a mentor in the field who can help show you the ropes. Once you choose your target, stay focused on it and don't get discouraged if you don't get it right away. Be open to recognizing opportunities when they arise. Do something everyday that helps you reach your goal. Don't worry about money, that will come later. And don't give up.

And finally, remember this: the journey is the destination.
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

thanks guys. i appreciate it.
                we can be heroes

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                  There are several lutherie schools in the USA. The biggest is Roberto Venn in Arizona. The company that owns ESP guitars has a Guitar Craft Academy in Hollywood. And some builders like Harry Fleischman and Ervin Symogyi in Northern California teach lutherie or else take on apprentices.

As for me and how I got here, I think it had more to do with luck than anything else. I studied philosophy in college (UCLA) and my background was in law and television production. But, I've played in bands forever and I knew the Seymour Duncan product line inside and out before I applied for a job. But when it comes down to it, there was probably more luck involved than in Derek Fisher's 0.4 shot against the Spurs.

Looking back, I probably would've been more prepared for this job if I had studied less hardcore academic stuff and more woodshop and electronics -- and gone on the road for a year with my band. On the other hand, all that hardcore study made me who I am today with the mental abilities I possess.

My advice: Learn as much about the field as you can. If you can get an internship at a company that does what you're interested in, go for it. Find a mentor in the field who can help show you the ropes. Once you choose your target, stay focused on it and don't get discouraged if you don't get it right away. Be open to recognizing opportunities when they arise. Do something everyday that helps you reach your goal. Don't worry about money, that will come later. And don't give up.

And finally, remember this: the journey is the destination.
                  Awesome story and advice. True.

Thanks!

Comment

to get into the feild, its wise to go to a school for sound engineering.. berklee has a nice program, then again many other colleges also have this in their ciriculm (spelling)
                    Just so you all are clear on this one point...

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEND FULL SAIL REAL WORLD EDUCATION IN WINTER PARK FLORIDA.

It's a school for recording, but the tour they give you is all bells and whistles, job placement is virtually nonexistant, the staff is underpaid and doesn't give a crap, and all the advisors care about is getting commission off of getting students to sign up. It is a business first and a school second. BIG $30,000 mistake! I'ts gotten to the point where graduates cannot even put Full sail on their resumes, because employers know what a joke the school is, and what morons its graduates are.

KEEP AWAY! you have been warned.

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
                      you can also go the path i have chosen in the feild of audio engineering

this is basically all the guys behind the mixing boards and sound crew in general.. this can also lead to producing once your name is out there with what you can do on the boards

the jobs that are possible with this feild are pretty wide and include:
                      -stadiums
                      -auditoriums
                      -theatres
                      -studios
                      -tv production
                      -radio

and tons of others..

A word to the wise from someone with first-hand experience, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON SCHOOL! I used to work at Sound City studios in Van Nuys, CA. I worked with tons of famous musicians, producers and engineers. One thing they ALL agreed on was that audio engineering school is a waste of time and money. If you go to any major studio in Los Angeles all the diplomas and education in the world will not make a difference. You will still be sweeping floors and making coffee, you will learn more by hanging out after hours during a real seesion than you will by going to school for it. And at the end of the day, it's really all about kissing the right ass at the right time. Talent is one small part, politics are the other and that's why I no longer work in the music biz.

Cheers,

CJ
                      www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Working...
                      X