Bought a Cabinet, Which output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Cabinet, Which output?

I BOUGHT A MESA CABINET, TRADITIONAL OVERSIZED 4 x12 FILLED WITH V 30'S. It has some outputs on the back, 2 say "4 ohms split or bi-amp" then another says "8 ohms in" and the last on eis just labeled "out". if i'm using one cab, and one head, which output do i hook to my head? I wanna get this straight... if you guys could tell me what each does, i have a strong hunch but i want to make sure...

Re: Bought a Cabinet, Which output?

You want the 8 ohms in connector.

Basically, you have 4 speakers, of 8 ohms each. Two wired in parallel, for 4 ohms. Two more the same way. Then those two "sets" connected in series, giving you back the 8 ohms of all four speakers.

The two 4 ohms in jack will break the series connection in order to use two amps, or a stereo amp.

The out just parallels the 8 ohms in jack, to add another cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      You want the 8 ohms in connector.

Basically, you have 4 speakers, of 8 ohms each. Two wired in parallel, for 4 ohms. Two more the same way. Then those two "sets" connected in series, giving you back the 8 ohms of all four speakers.

The two 4 ohms in jack will break the series connection in order to use two amps, or a stereo amp.

The out just parallels the 8 ohms in jack, to add another cabinet.
      as i thought, the "out" out put is for chainning 2 cabs in series, right(or is it parrallel)?. You answered all my questions, thanks artie.

Comment

the "out" is for connecting other cabs, that's basically it, I think
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
          the "out" is for connecting other cabs, that's basically it, I think
          thats what i ment, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
            thats what i ment, thanks!
            I would seriously check your owner's manual as to whether that extra cab is hooked in series or in parallel with the other, and I really doubt it's going to be series, which means if two of those cabs are put together then your load i 4ohms, and you'd set your amp for 4 ohms. Then again check your owner's manual on your amp, because not all manufacturers go about naming the outputs according to there actual load functions.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
              I would seriously check your owner's manual as to whether that extra cab is hooked in series or in parallel with the other, and I really doubt it's going to be series, which means if two of those cabs are put together then your load i 4ohms, and you'd set your amp for 4 ohms. Then again check your owner's manual on your amp, because not all manufacturers go about naming the outputs according to there actual load functions.
              well, i doubt i will ever use 2 cabs together, i just dont need it, but i'll read up on the manual anyway, just to be sure... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                ya, it links the 2 cabs in parallel... so if i linked 2 8 ohm cabs theyd have a load of 4 ohms right? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                  ya, it links the 2 cabs in parallel... so if i linked 2 8 ohm cabs theyd have a load of 4 ohms right? thanks
                  Yeah, but the second part was check the amp, as some of the boogs used to have some weird nomenclature as to what they were actually referring to load wise on the amp outputs.
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                  X