about the neck on my LP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about the neck on my LP...

is the neck too steep on my les paul??? the bridge has to be HIGH for it to be playable(the strings are wayyy too close to the frets)... is there a way that i can get this fixed, and i'll be able to put the bridge all the way down? dang... now this gets me worried hahaha
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus Desert Burst
    Ibanez RG770DX
    Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
    Long live ROCK.

Re: about the neck on my LP...

Sean, the problem isn't your bridge, it's most likely a case of too much back bow. For a guitar to play properly the fretboard has to be flat or just slightly bowed forward to allow for the strings to vibrate freely. Sometimes changes in temp and humidity cause necks to move around a little, especially mahogany necks.

You can check this by fretting the 6th string at the first and last frets. If you can't see a very tiny gap between the string and the frets around the 9th fret, then you need to adjust the truss rod.

In your case you need to loosen the truss rod. Most Gibby LPs come with a truss rod wrench, but if you dont have one a 1/4" drive 5/16th socket will do. The wrench that comes with the guitar looks like a small socket attached to a screwdriver.

Remove the plate at the bottom of the headstock and you will see a 5/16" brass acorn nut. You want to loosen that nut but turning it counterclockwise until you get a small gap between the strings and the 9th fret when the strings are fretted at the 1at and 22nd fret.

After the neck is properly adjusted you can lower the bridge until you have a 1/16th or so gap at the 12th fret with nothing fretted. Unfortunately with all that movement you'll most likely have to intonate the bridge saddles, but thats another post.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

so that can fix it?? it seems like the neck is pretty much flat.. the whole neck seems to be angled down too much... the angle that the neck is at from the body... is it supposed to be like this??? or can it be a fault at the factory?
      Ibanez RG770DX
      Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
      Long live ROCK.

Comment

The neck should have something like a 5 degree angle coming off of the body. Your neck may appear to be flat but it's an educated guess that it's not flat but actually bowed back, causing a high spot in the middle of the neck. This would cause you to have to dramatically raise the bridge to clear the frets, if you didn't know to loosen the truss rod.

I see this all the time with LP owners that are afraid to adjust the truss rod but find it easy to adjust the two bridge height wheels. Your guitar isn't "broken", it just needs a good set-up.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

ohhhhh ok. thank you. that is probably the case, because i never got a set-up on it after i got it. time to get it set-up. not sure if i can trust the guitarcenter guys but oh well.
          Ibanez RG770DX
          Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
          Long live ROCK.

Comment

Originally posted by seanguynj
            so that can fix it?? it seems like the neck is pretty much flat.. the whole neck seems to be angled down too much... the angle that the neck is at from the body... is it supposed to be like this??? or can it be a fault at the factory?
            I think you are talking about the neck angle as compared to the body. Yes that is how Les Pauls are. Unlike strat styles where the neck is inline with body, looking down on body from playing position, the Les Paul neck angle down is normal. If you are getting buzz or strings not resonating then you will need to have it setup properly.
            57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
            62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
            Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
            Baby Taylor
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X