Great news! (for me, anyway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news! (for me, anyway)

Hey, guys. My birthday's in less than a week and for my gift from my parents, they are helping me purchase an avatar cab, which I intend to order tomorrow via phone. Here is what I plan to order-

Slant 4x12 (metal grill)
    Eminence v12s (bottom), Celestion 70/80s (top)
    8 ohm mono
    casters

I plan to run my squier practice amp through it until I purchase a head (the model to be determined later). I'm so stoked!

If anyone has any last minute input, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks a bunch for all of you guys' and gals' help with my decision. If not for you all, I wouldn't even know about Avatar, or I might even have quit playing by now. Thanks so much and I'll keep you posted. Peace.

G.I.
    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
    Peavey Valve King 1x12
    Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Re: Great news! (for me, anyway)

Hey again. I just ordered the cab about an hour ago and it's true what they say about Dave being really nice. He helped me tremendously and I expect to get my new cab next week. Next is a head...
    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
    Peavey Valve King 1x12

Comment

I thought maybe you saved money on your car insurance.

Comment

good one jolly, those commericials are starting to drive me nuts.

what head are you eyeing?
        Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
        Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
        Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
        Crate VC-3112
        Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
        Fender Bassman 60

Comment

I'm thinking of a solid state (under $400) that I can have by the end of the summer. I play metal, punk, classic rock and blues so I want some versatility. I'm eying some Randall RG 100 heads on Ebay and the Peavey Supreme XL. I don't know, though. IF I can find a good, cheap tube head, I might be interested, but it's all about the money and I don't have alot. I figure I got some time to choose so if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear 'em. Thanks.

G.I.
          Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
          Peavey Valve King 1x12

Comment

Originally posted by green_insomniac
            I'm thinking of a solid state (under $400)

DAMN! For under 400$ you can have some real nice tube amps.... I bought my Laney GH50L for 350$... missing the front logo but Laney UK sent me one for free

You can find some Peavey C50 heads for under 400$ easily. Older Laney AOR Pro Tube (kind-of JCM800 knockoffs) are fine amps too. There's many options under 400$ on the used market.

Dont go SS 'cause you'll regret...

And as for the cab, the straight ones (not angled) are usually better sounding.
            Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I personnaly would've spend this money on a nice 2X12 combo amp but that's just me.. As Thames said, there are some nice heads in that price range, you should be able to get something nice and killer sounding! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon
                I personnaly would've spend this money on a nice 2X12 combo amp but that's just me.. As Thames said, there are some nice heads in that price range, you should be able to get something nice and killer sounding! Good luck!

Yes. A nice closed back 2x12" costs less and deliver some very nice punchy tones! I swapped my Marshall 4x12 for a 2x12, semi open-back cab (from www.trutonecustom.com)... me and my back are really happy since
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Yep, I also think that for most gigs (unlike yours thames ) a good 50 watts tube 2X12 combo is more than enough, allows you to crank it really high and get that nice power tube saturation, I'll never regret my 50 watt combo... just my preference tho... I seem to prefer the resonnance of a 2X12 cab than a 4X12... go figure...

Comment

I already ordered the 4x12 and it's on it's way so...too late. I'm happy with my purchase, anyway.

As far as the tube amp goes- I'll look into some cheap heads on ebay, but the combo is out of the question.

Thanks.

G.I.
                    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
                    Peavey Valve King 1x12

Comment

Grab this...

or this..

or this...

or this

Comment

Originally posted by green_insomniac
                        I already ordered the 4x12 and it's on it's way so...too late. I'm happy with my purchase, anyway.

As far as the tube amp goes- I'll look into some cheap heads on ebay, but the combo is out of the question.

Thanks.

G.I.
                        Hey, I was just stating my preferences, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your purchase! After all, I might like 2X12s better but if I were gigging bigger places I'd buy the same cab you did! enjoy!

Comment

I might buy the last item on your list (everyone check it out). AND as for the Laneys, I'll look into those, too. Thanks.

PEACE.

G.I.
                          Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
                          Peavey Valve King 1x12

Comment

Working...
                          X