banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JJ Guitars - played a couple, think I want one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ Guitars - played a couple, think I want one!

On Monday I spent the day doing guitar shops in London. Mostly disappointing - played several horrible SGs (old and new, poorly set up and overpriced), which was sad - I had a '74 Standard years ago that I loved and I've been telling myself I should get another one (SG). I'm not so sure right now, but I'll keep on looking - only need to find one good one.

Anyway....... whilst in Soho Soundhouse I tried out a couple of JJ Guitars. Don't know how much has been heard of these in the US, but they are a small UK guitar maker rapidly gaining a strong reputation.

Web site:

From the Derbyshire Countryside, Jeff Guilford has two workshops building fine handcrafted boutique electric guitars. JJ Guitars supply musicians and world renowned artists along with selected retailers. contact: [email protected]

I tried out a twin HB model and another that had a kind of P100 / P90 combination. Wow!! Both were an absolute joy - as soon as I picked them up they just felt exactly right and were so comfortable to play. The factory set up was spot on. Plugged 'em in and they sounded awesome too. Hands down the best guitars I've played in a long time (possibly ever). Looked pretty cool too..... the build quality is excellent, down to the finest details and the top of the range models are a mere £999.

You know I've always been a bit of a Gibson / Fender traditionalist, but maybe it's time for a change. There's another JJ dealer about half an hour's drive from where I work, so I'll be paying a visit in the next couple of days to do some more "research". Might even take my credit card.

Re: JJ Guitars - played a couple, think I want one!

They look awesome man, but are they really similar to PRS stuff? They look it.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

They're really nice guitars. I've tried out and electra and that was amazing.

Is soho soundhouse still open?! I thought it had been axed (excuse the pun) in place of a pro-audio shop (?)

Or has it moved?
      2002 PRS Singlecut, Duncan Custom / '59
      2002 Gibson LP Sandard, Duncan Custom / Burstbucker Pro
      Washburn BT2 "experimental guitar", ever changing pups
      Laney TT-20 + cab
      Marshall DSL50
      Enough effects to sink a battleship

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

"I, my friend, am danger on legs. DO NOT mess with me".

Comment

woa...those look like some sweet guitars simon...I love that Gold one!!!
        Originally posted by jeremy
        God hates bad guitar tone
        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
          They look awesome man, but are they really similar to PRS stuff? They look it.
          I suppose there are similarities with PRS, in so far as they're working the ground between a Strat and a Les Paul, but I think they have their own style too. The quality's certainly up there with PRS.

Originally posted by Jonnylane
          They're really nice guitars. I've tried out and electra and that was amazing.

Is soho soundhouse still open?! I thought it had been axed (excuse the pun) in place of a pro-audio shop (?)

Or has it moved?
          It's moved - it's on Charing Cross Rd now, opposite Foyles bookshop. They still have those big multi-page ads in Guitarist magazine - the stock in the shop isn't quite as extensive as the ads would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
            I suppose there are similarities with PRS, in so far as they're working the ground between a Strat and a Les Paul, but I think they have their own style too. The quality's certainly up there with PRS.

It's moved - it's on Charing Cross Rd now, opposite Foyles bookshop. They still have those big multi-page ads in Guitarist magazine - the stock in the shop isn't quite as extensive as the ads would have you believe.
            Aha. Cheers! I'll be taking a trip into london soon.
            2002 PRS Singlecut, Duncan Custom / '59
            2002 Gibson LP Sandard, Duncan Custom / Burstbucker Pro
            Washburn BT2 "experimental guitar", ever changing pups
            Laney TT-20 + cab
            Marshall DSL50
            Enough effects to sink a battleship

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

"I, my friend, am danger on legs. DO NOT mess with me".

Comment

Working...
            X