Do I need tone pros bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need tone pros bridge?

Hi all! I just recently rewired my Epi ACe Frehley and put in a Paf Pro in the neck and I have been playing it and this thing is Awesome! Due to the way I have it wired, Im getting alot more usable tones from it than stock and its really sounding good. Should I put a tonepros on it? Im not sure its worth the money. I have stock keys and it all seems to work ok. Just wondering. Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Do I need tone pros bridge?

I just put one on my Hamer, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the results. I bought it because I wanted to be able take all the strings off without losing my bridge height settings. I wasn't really expecting much of a difference in resonance and sustain, but it turned out to have a noticeable difference. Not a night and day difference, but still very noticeable. The improved coupling at the bridge really does make a difference. When I play a note, I can feel the entire body resonate for about 15 seconds. And of course, it never hurts when you can pick up a mint condition used one on Ebay for $40 less than retail, like I did. The Tuneomatic bridge should've been designed that way in the first place.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Thanks Ryan! Good report! I had myself set to get one and I was talking to a local repairman (only guy I trust to handle what repairs I cant do myself) and he said he didnt think it would be worth it. He said but design those lp systems are set up pretty good. I figure a) I trust him b) must have some merit if he is talking me out of spending money in his shop.
      I may still get one because Ive heard other good reports.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Good thread! I've been hashing it out in my head whether or not to get a TonePro bridge for my Epi LP. I have one on my Schecter, and it's just like Ryan's Hamer....the resonance through the body is very noticeable. I don't notice it nearly as much with my Pauly, not even close. So I, too, have thought that maybe going with a TonePro bridge might be a nice upgrade.
        Do people also recommend replacing the tailpiece, or does that make that big of a difference? I know TonePro also offers replacement tailpieces that lock onto the studs rather than fall off with no strings. That would be handy when restringing.

-Bob

Comment

I would almost recommend the tailpeice over the bridge. Well actually I would say get the full set. The thing is that the tailpeice is the top scratcher. When you take off your strings that thing is going to want to slide right off and scratch your nice top. i don't know how much it will do for your tone, but the safety is a nice thought.
          Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I have it on my ESP also, It's awesome, I love it.

Comment

Tonepros makes two locking tailpiece sets...one is the traditional replacement tailpiece, the other is actually just a set of locking studs that adapts to the tailpiece you already have. It might be a little cheaper to get the locking studs for the tailpiece and then replace the bridge with a Tonepros. Keep an eye out on Ebay too, that's where I got my set. Mint condition, and $40 cheaper than buying retail. Like I said, I really wasn't expecting much of a difference, I was mostly interested in it for the locking feature. But the improved coupling really did make a noticeable difference in sustain.

Ryan

Comment

I have a Tonepros locking bridge on my Schecter. It's sweet. It doesn't fall off. I'm not sure about sustain or anything like that, but it doesnt fall off. Saving the finish on my guitar (and the floor) is well worth it IMO.

Comment

Cool info, guys. I've never been concerned with scratching the body with the tailpiece as I always leave the old G string on while restringing (weird fetish, huh?.....LOL), and save that one for last.
                  I'm more interested in the sustain and resonance sides to this proposition, and think it's worth looking into.
                  I'll keep an eye out on ebay as you suggested, Ryan.
                  Thanks!!

-Bob

Comment

I modified the existing tail piece and bridge on my Heritage, I used a 1/16 in drill to drill into the sides of the tail piece - just ahead of the center of the stud - for the bridge I drilled holes centered on the outside radius. I had some left over set screws for my strat bridge (height adjustment), I used a little oil on the set screw and slowly threaded it into the holes (going in a half turn, backing off a quarter turn, etc. until the end of the set screw came out the other side). The bridge and tailpiece on my guitar are brass (soft) so it worked out really well and it didn't cost me but a quarter or so for the set screws. Total time was about a half hour. I didn't use a drill press or anything, just a good press punch to indent the metal at my drill points. The results are great, increased sustain and the tailpiece doesn't fall off when I change strings!

Comment

Ok, for an Epi LP, I assume I'll need a metric bridge right? big or small posts?
                      Also, where is the best (cheapest) place to get them? Musician's Friend wants $116.
                      thanks!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose
                        Ok, for an Epi LP, I assume I'll need a metric bridge right? big or small posts?
                        Also, where is the best (cheapest) place to get them? Musician's Friend wants $116.
                        thanks!
                        That's about average. I think they're $123 at WD. You want the metric one, I'm not sure about the post size though. try emailing WD, they should be able to tell you which one to get.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
                          Cool info, guys. I've never been concerned with scratching the body with the tailpiece as I always leave the old G string on while restringing (weird fetish, huh?.....LOL), and save that one for last.

-Bob
                          It's funny that you say that, because I've always done that same thing with the G string on string changes.

I'm sure the Tonepros is a good investment for your number 1 guitar. I haven't put it on my Pauls, but the one for my McCarty has made a huge difference. Let me tell you, a PRS with Duncans and a Tonepros bridge creates a whole new guitar. It intonates perfectly, and the C-5/59 sounds much fuller and Gibson-like on the McCarty.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

hmmm....i've been contemplating what bridge to put on my dual hum tele project...i've been tossing around the idea of a tone pros and a hipshot hardtail...any suggestions from anyone...?!
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

on a flat top tele - the tonepros or any other tune-o-matic style bridge, requires a neck pitch (ala prs or gibson) which wil make the neck not meet the fingerboard flat as it should no a tele or strat. thus the only option is a lower profile bridge like the hipshot (which is a very good quality bridge) or a strat style bridge (OR) RECESSING the tuneomatic into the body ala peavey - that how they get around not having a neck angle
                              and by neck angle i don't mean the headstock angle
                              Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
                              Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
                              www.gaugeguitars.com
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X