nut broke !HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nut broke !HELP!

ah the nut on my squier strat broke ....the piece above the low e notch just snapped off and i dunno where it went....is there any home way to fix that? i looked everywhere for the piece but i cant find it...i am going to samash today maybe theyll have a nut i could buy ... i hope they do....

is there any way to rig it to work for now?
    Guitars : 1977 Gibson SG
    Strat Clone with JB/hotrails combo and warmoth electronics/pickguard

Amps: Randall RH200SC into a Stereo Behringer 4x12
    and a Marshall Avt20

Re: nut broke !HELP!

oo and what width should i buy the replacement nut??/ if they have it of course
    Guitars : 1977 Gibson SG
    Strat Clone with JB/hotrails combo and warmoth electronics/pickguard

Amps: Randall RH200SC into a Stereo Behringer 4x12
    and a Marshall Avt20

Comment

Relax. Although it is unfortunate that the nut has broken, it is an easily replacable part of your guitar.

I'm not positive about this but I think that if the nut slot if damaged in any way you would need to have it re-cut. And if this is the case I think you might as well go with a new new and have it cut&setup by a luthier.

Bring your guitar with you to the shop, the service you get will be of better quality because there will be no question about getting the correct nut.

Your guitar will be fine :-)
      2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

thats a tech job really, unless you want to try getting the nut out yourself. my fender strat did the same thing. i tried changing the nut myself, made a right pig's ear of it. take it to tech, they did mine for not much.

If you can get a bone nut, do so.
        "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Nearly every Strat-style guitar uses a 1 5/8 sized nut. As long as you're having a tech replace the nut, you might want to look into an Earvana nut, www.earvana.com.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

If your Squier has a tremolo, I would advise against a bone nut. If you don't want to go with Earvana, a good graphite nut might be a better choice. Bone nuts have a brighter tone than graphite, but the material is not slippery compared to graphite. On a trem-equipped guitar, you can run into tuning problems caused by strings binding at the nut.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Take it to a luthier and have a new nut made out of bone or something like that. It's not a big deal (I've busted 3 in my time) and not all that expensive.
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
              X