banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between the maple, rosewood, and ebony fingerboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between the maple, rosewood, and ebony fingerboards?

I`ve played all 3 and besides feel I can truly tell no difference between these other than each instruments as a whole itself.
    57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
    62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
    Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
    Baby Taylor
    sigpic

Re: Differences between the maple, rosewood, and ebony fingerboards?

Originally posted by JALIN
    I`ve played all 3 and besides feel I can truly tell no difference between these other than each instruments as a whole itself.
    maples pretth bright, and is very clean and articulate, rosewood is darker, and has a deeper sort of tone, ebony is also pretty bright, really smooth and fast too

Comment

This is purely from my perspective, and I'm sure others will probably have differing opinions. I'll use a Fender Strat as my " hypothetical " Guitar:

Maple> Has more of a " snap ", and lends itself to more of a " glassy " tone.
      Rosewood> Seems to carry a warmer tone, a little more Robust sounding.
      Ebony> seems similar to Rosewood, with more of a " silky " feel. Can sometimes lend itself to a Darker tone.
      *** I have an Ebony fretboard on my Martin D-28. It feels more silky, and carries a little darker tone than my Gibson J-50, which has Rosewood.
      So...hope this helps........
      Last edited by 59paul; 06-17-2004, 12:03 PM.
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
        maples pretth bright, and is very clean and articulate, rosewood is darker, and has a deeper sort of tone, ebony is also pretty bright, really smooth and fast too
        like he said.
        we can be heroes

Comment

the color is different. unless you try each fingerboard on the *same* neck (pretty impossible) it is difficult to make definate statements on how a small piece of wood effects the sound.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maple onepiece, snappy clear loud and has a deep bass end, good for twangy open stuff, and lots of other things that wants those qualities, twopiece maple,
            also snappy but slightly more spread out in the sound than a onepiece, otherwise the same sound mostly and the notes bloom alittle more.
            Rosewood, great chorddefenition, makes the note bloom in a very warm and pleasent way, fat juicy overtones, nice feel, good allround wood.
            Ebony, smooth sound, a focused sound, sounds better on acoustics than on an electric imho, has some of the qualities maple sports, but is a little more "dead" in the attack.
            Very even sounding wood.

Comment

You may also find the following link from the Warmoth site quite useful for the different types of boards quite useful (click on Neck Woods on the left side) to go through all of the woods used for necks and boards:

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/guitarneck.htm
              Normans Guitars

Comment

Fretboard wood has a larger impact on the overall tone of a guitar than one would think. After all- no single piece of wood other than the fretboard is in such close proximity to the vibrating strings and frets. I believe this tone shaping is due to soundwaves interacting with the fretboard material.

Maple- bright and crisp
                Rosewood- warm and round
                ebony- dark and fast

I wonder what a koa or korina fretboard would sound like? I once ordered a custom shop ESP that had an ebony fretboard. On the way over to NYC from Japan, the moisture from the shipping container expanded and contracted the fretboard until it had a very nasty crack running through it! All ebony fretboarders beware! Me- I prefer the warm, almost vocal-like tonal shapings offered from Rosewood.
                Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                ESP KH-1
                LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                BC Rich KKV
                Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Originally posted by 7th Hell
                  Fretboard wood has a larger impact on the overall tone of a guitar than one would think. After all- no single piece of wood other than the fretboard is in such close proximity to the vibrating strings and frets. I believe this tone shaping is due to soundwaves interacting with the fretboard material.

Maple- bright and crisp
                  Rosewood- warm and round
                  ebony- dark and fast

I wonder what a koa or korina fretboard would sound like? I once ordered a custom shop ESP that had an ebony fretboard. On the way over to NYC from Japan, the moisture from the shipping container expanded and contracted the fretboard until it had a very nasty crack running through it! All ebony fretboarders beware! Me- I prefer the warm, almost vocal-like tonal shapings offered from Rosewood.
                  This pretty much sums it up.
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                    *** I have an Ebony fretboard on my Martin D-28. It feels more silky, and carries a little darker tone than my Gibson J-50, which has Rosewood.
                    We could probably discuss this until the cows come home, but I would say the tonal difference here has much more to do with the body wood (rosewood for the D-28 vs. mahogany for the J-50). IMHO, of course.
                    John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by sgstrat
                      We could probably discuss this until the cows come home, but I would say the tonal difference here has much more to do with the body wood (rosewood for the D-28 vs. mahogany for the J-50). IMHO, of course.
                      sgstrat> No Doubt about it, the body wood plays a MAJOR role in the tone of these 2 guitars !!!! I also think the difference in the fretboards play a role, as well. The J-50 is more resonant. The D-28 Louder and Darker. With the strings vibrating the entire length of the scale, and the neck being a Big part of that scale, the fretboard HAS to come into play. ......
                      Last edited by 59paul; 06-17-2004, 07:25 PM.
                      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
                      X