transformer noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transformer noise?

So I'm playing a JC-120 with a step-up step-down transformer, (220v to 110v) and I'm suspicious that the transformer is creating a lot of noise. My rig was never this noisy with my practice amp. Lots of buzz, especially when my overdrive pedal is on. Should I get a different transformer, try a new plug/output cable, what?

What can I do? I've already got a noise gate coming in the mail, but that might not be enough...
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: transformer noise?

Have you tried it on a different outlet at all?

I had a JC-120 for a while, and it was as quiet as a mouse fart. There's definately something amiss with your rig.
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Like my guitar.

I'm working on shielding it now. Pain in the a$$.
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
        So I'm playing a JC-120 with a step-up step-down transformer, (220v to 110v) and I'm suspicious that the transformer is creating a lot of noise. My rig was never this noisy with my practice amp. Lots of buzz, especially when my overdrive pedal is on. Should I get a different transformer, try a new plug/output cable, what?

What can I do? I've already got a noise gate coming in the mail, but that might not be enough...
        Why are you using a step down tranny to power a 110VAC amp from a 220VAC outlet? ... Now lets forget for a moment that 220 is a *two phase* circuit, and 110 is a *single phase* circuit. Couple of things, one the transformer is probably not shielded, two you're asking for trouble when you involve a standard two phase line like that, three even if the unit is shielded, I'm not sure how the ground is done in a 220 system, as I think it can be done one of two ways. Four, some 220 to 110 adaptors are actually just splitters that take one side of the phase , and as such are not transformers ... in effect this creates the same thing that happens in your residence when the 220 is center tapped, using the center tap as neutral ... however in practice even though it's supposed to be the same, and tends to work well with appliances and power tools, audio equipment may not fair so well. Try a different outlet (get rid of the tranny and run it on 110), also it could be a poor source with a lot of line noise (there is some filtering in residential installations these days, although I don't believe it's standard yet).
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

What does "Could we please have everything louder than everything else?" mean?

Comment

What does "Could we please have everything louder than everything else?" mean?
            It's the ideal monitor set up, that way everyone can hear everything they need to including themselves ...
            It was a comment that Ian Gillan made to the sound guy betweens songs, on Deep Purple's ... Made In Japan album (as it was a live album)... I always liked it, thought it was cool, so I just used it as my sig.
            Plus I'm not above annoying a sound guy by asking him that ...

Comment

Sounds very Spinal Tap.

The amp I have I think is actually foreign, and is set for 220vac (that's what's on the back). Is there a way to convert it to 110v without a tranny? It's got one of the European plugs that won't fit in our outlets either.

And um...I'm no rocket scientist, could ya take it down just a notch?

Comment

I'd try three things;

1) Higher quality power converter

2) Set your current converter as far away from your amp, guitar, and cabling as you can.

3) Furman power conditioner.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Sounds very Spinal Tap.

The amp I have I think is actually foreign, and is set for 220vac (that's what's on the back). Is there a way to convert it to 110v without a tranny? It's got one of the European plugs that won't fit in our outlets either.

And um...I'm no rocket scientist, could ya take it down just a notch?
                  Oh, I was just trying to figure out the possible sources of the interference ...

You can have the amp modded in a shop with the proper transformer buit in for the power you are using. See also sceaming daisy's reply, try that first, most step up/down trannies are really meant for power tool/ aplliance use and not for audio use. So they may not be shielded well, some type of ac line filter might hepl matters also. For a permanent set up though ... have the tranny changed out in a shop.

Comment

Get amp modded, get guitar fixed. Works for me. Yay.

Comment

Working...
                    X