banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Besides Gibason and Fender who was the most innovative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Besides Gibason and Fender who was the most innovative?

Does anyone else find it amusing how Variax was thought to be the spearhead of guitar innovation and technology back then

Variax seem these days like laser disks. And I think that after Gibson came in and blew it with Firebird X that innovation is quite dead and buried.

Modeling and especially floor modelers are so easy, versatile, cheap and popular it's difficult to see that innovation ever coming back succesfully.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
      Parker's are so confusing because you look at them and initially go "Damn that's one ugly mother****er of an instrument" and then if you look at them for about 5 minutes you second guess yourself, "Wait maybe that's actually the most beautiful instrument I have ever seen", but then if you keep looking at them a little longer it goes back around to being hideous.

I'm gonna stop looking at them now because I've been through the cycle 3 times now and I worry if I go on any longer I may have a nervous breakdown.
      Haha!
      A friend of mine had one way back when they first came out.
      I felt the same way about it.
      It sounded great though, I will say that. But aesthetically it’s not for me.

Comment

A lot of the innovations mentioned are merging ideas from Fender and Gibson. The best merger being PRS.

Putting an Humbucker in a Strat is yes an innovation but it is not like inventing the Telecaster, the Stratocaster, the Les Paul, the first thinline Semi-Hollow (!), the Flying V, the P90 and the Humbucker...

Actually Fender has used double coils even before that (Tele Thinline / Deluxe / Custom).
        And did Fast Eddy had his X2N or any other DMZ on his Stratocaster back in 1977 (before David Murray and Eddie Van Halen); Glen Tipton had SD on his strat around that time as well.

And so what about innovations from Gretsch ? Chet Atkin 6120 ? Filtertrons ?

Rickenbacker had a cool innovation : the first neck-through guitars and bass.

I would say Alembic were innovative, but few can afford their guitars. Not me.

Note: The "Frying Pan" was Rickenbacker (not Gretsch).
        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
          P you look at them and initially go "Damn that's one ugly mother****er of an instrument" and then if you look at them for about 5 minutes you second guess yourself, "Wait maybe that's actually the most beautiful instrument I have ever seen"
          I like this quote I know this feeling. This is the "acquired taste".
          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I don't think they are currently being made. BTW, Ade's signature Parker Fly (with midi, piezo, & variax guts), was about $10k.
            Wow...$10k is sure a lot for a guitar but it sure is a great looking and very playable by the looks of it. I'm not into signature guitars like Joe Bonamassa's or John Mayer's PRS overly publicized SilverSky Strat but I definitely have respect for Adrian Belew and his music. His signature guitars would be somewhat worth it...maybe more like $5k sounds reasonable.

;>)/
            sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I don't think they are currently being made. BTW, Ade's signature Parker Fly (with midi, piezo, & variax guts), was about $10k.
              So I read this post last night and I didn't know what you were talking about, because just beforehand I had been to the Parker website which shows a full product line and a totally up to date looking website. They literally have like a dozen different models up there but if you go to any of the online dealers there is nothing in stock.

Very strange.

EDIT: Ok so I just went back to the website a third time and was greeted with this message
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Rerelease-Banner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	5810717

MYSTERY SOLVED AND NOW I WANT ONE SO BAD EVEN THOUGH THEYRE UGLY THEYRE SO CHARMING UHG
              Last edited by oilpit; 12-07-2018, 01:45 PM.
              Originally posted by jcthejester13
              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Rick. En. Backer.
                C'mon, fellas, Rickenbacker!...Having said all that, I now wonder why the hell I DON'T own one!
                Just did a quick online search and remembered why I have never owned a Rick. $$$
                Still one of the great original innovators though!

Comment

Working...
                X