Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk bass amps

anyone ever used an Ampeg B-2?

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

I've heard mixed reviews from this solid state amp. I don't know much about bass amps...do tube-bass amps sound light years better like tube-guitar amps?
    thereveling.com

Re: Lets talk bass amps

Ampeg R@wkz. My brother uses an Ampeg head with 2 4x10" cabs. Not exactly sure what kind the head is, but It rocks period. Personally, I have never heard anything but sweet singing bass tone coming out of that thing.

PS. Its a tube head.

In my opinion tube bass amps are infinitely better for playing styles much like Les Claypool.
    Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

I've never tried an Ampeg except for the B-2R head i think, but check out EBS Sweden amps!
      I don't know if it's available in the US, but it's the best bass amps i've ever heard in my life!
      100% Bass player

Comment

Ampeg - ah what a sound but you are actually talking ss amp and the new amps are not a patch on the old models. Of course if you are talking tube - then they weigh a f**king ton and you will need to be built like a gorilla to shift them.

Unlike guitar amps bass amps are better being ss or even being hybrid (their per-amp section being tube) and their power amp being solid state. The reason is that bass sucks more power and need plenty of clean headroom to be able to deliver punchcy sound. Bass amps typically have to be 3 or 4 times louder than guitar amps. Full tube amps do sound different because they have that warm and slightly distorted sound when pushed very hard but it is all a matter of preference and what type of sound you are after. I prefer to have plenty of clean headroom and whilst I have a hybrid tube amp for my main bass rig, my other bass amps are all ss.

So are you thinking about joining the mighty pounders?
        Normans Guitars

Comment

Roland makes a cool amp in an affordable package:

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I've used an Ampeg SVT, and the sound is fantastic. As mentioned before, the thing weighs a TON! I think nowadays solid-state amps are pretty much the norm. Check out Yorkville's line of bass amps. They sound really good, and they are cheaper than many other amplifiers.

Comment

I played an Ampeg SVT4 at a rehearsal studio a while back. The guy wouldn't let me tweak it much (it was his brother's) but it sounded pretty good through the 8x10. Freaking LOUD though! I'd love to own one of my own though, especially in a 1x15 with a 4x10 on top. That'll get the booties bouncing!

I've also played a Carvin Redeye combo (1x15 with a 2x10). That thing has some serious options built in and it sounds great.

It's not necessary, and you can push plenty of air with 10's, but I love having a 15 (I can occasionally sneak an 18 out of the bandroom at school ) just to get that extra low-end out of it for some funk or sludge. Having played a Fender combo with a single 15 and the Redeye, I prefer the Redeye because the internal crossovers help the mid's and highs to come out a bit more clearly than a single 15 ever will, while still giving all the booty-shaking bass a person could ever need.
              Last edited by Ken; 06-22-2004, 08:59 PM.

Comment

right now im on the verge of buying an ampeg b-2r head and an ampeg 4x10 cabinet. i have the cash for it(run me about a grand) and i just have to wait for my dad to clear off the credit card
                The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurisarz
                  I've never tried an Ampeg except for the B-2R head i think, but check out EBS Sweden amps!
                  I don't know if it's available in the US, but it's the best bass amps i've ever heard in my life!
                  I listened to somebody play through that at a local highend/boutique music store... the tone is amazing
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

The bassist in my band use ta use a SVT.Now that he needs back
                    Surgery ( I'm not kidding he does !!) He got a Ampeg SS combo. I'm
                    not sure witch model? But I think it sounds tighter than the SVT ??
                    He also just got a Hartkie kickback 15 that sounds just as good
                    and even easier to get around.
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Dan!?
                      right now im on the verge of buying an ampeg b-2r head and an ampeg 4x10 cabinet. i have the cash for it(run me about a grand) and i just have to wait for my dad to clear off the credit card
                      I tried the B-2R head, didn't liked it, never been a fan of Solidstate heads, i would go for the EBS Fafner head instead, I saw a metal band called Entombed last december, (interview with the bassplayer Jörgen on EBS website!) A really thick good cruching tone with Overdrive/Distortion ( ) and a nice bright tone when it's clean! If you have the chance to try it, DO IT!
                      100% Bass player

Comment

I've heard quite a few good things about the B-2's. Never actually played one myself though. I've got an Ampeg B-100 that sounds pretty good.. may be worth checking out as well. 100w 1x15 combo.
                        -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                        I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Thanks for the replies...I'm helping my bass player look for a new rig...he doesn't know anything about amps at all.

Keep the suggestions flowing!
                          thereveling.com

Comment

Gallien-Krueger : Superior bass amps and products designed and made in the U.S.A.

they make great bass amps/cabs/combos...

as well as...

Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Look for an old Acoustic B320, great bass head and mega tough!
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X