banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss Compression Sustainer? Thicker sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Compression Sustainer? Thicker sound?

I was fooling around with my PODxt, and The "Blue Comp" model was accidentaly set to the stopbox present with the JCM 800. I played with it cause I didn't really know what it did. To me it sounded like the tone was thicker. Is this what they're suposed to do? Or is it modeled the right way?

Thanks

Re: Boss Compression Sustainer? Thicker sound?

Has anyone tried these?

Comment

You basically have the right idea. A compressor basically assists in sustaining notes on your guitar and it also thickens up the notes a bit.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

a compressor takes dynamics away...which can be good for some sounds- I always use one on my acoustic. It doesn't make it thicker really, just changes the volume.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Compressor are made to even out the volume, basicly to keep chords/arpeggios/singlenotes in the same level volumewise.
          So getting a good one is very essential, most use it as boing boing effect, that is not compressing to me but it sounds good for some stuff.
          It an effect to keep wide dynamics in a fixed range.

Comment

I'm using an old Ibanez Comp/Sus set very low to add some thickness and a small boost to my signal in front of an sd-1. I pretty much leave the comp on all of time now it adds so much to the tone that I am looking for. I've had this thing for years and didn't really use it until recently. I took my time and tweaked it. I think that the key is to use it sparingly. It was mentioned that if you are going to use one, don't skimp on the quality. So what would everyone recommend? Boss, Keely, EH, etc.?
            '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
              So what would everyone recommend? Boss, Keely, EH, etc.?
              MXR Dyna comp, i got it two weeks ago, holy cow!
              100% Bass player

Comment

Originally posted by Thurisarz
                MXR Dyna comp, i got it two weeks ago, holy cow!
                Could you elaborate? I thought about that one as well and they are very reasonably priced at about $65.
                '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
                  Could you elaborate? I thought about that one as well and they are very reasonably priced at about $65.
                  Two simple knobs, Output (Volume) and Sensitivity, if you have for example, a distortion pedal and put the volume a 12 o' clock and the sens at full, you will have sustain that lasts for days!

I have mine at 2 o clock on the output and 10 o clock on the sens, for a nice twangy setting! It makes my SG twangy
                  100% Bass player

Comment

Originally posted by Thurisarz
                    Two simple knobs, Output (Volume) and Sensitivity, if you have for example, a distortion pedal and put the volume a 12 o' clock and the sens at full, you will have sustain that lasts for days!

I have mine at 2 o clock on the output and 10 o clock on the sens, for a nice twangy setting! It makes my SG twangy
                    I love the idea that it's simple settings........hmmmmm......might have to go try one of those out now.

Comment

I used a Boss C/S pedal for a short time, but found that it took too much tone away from my sound. I now use a Guyatone ST-2 C/S, which I have found to be of great quality and very transparent. Plus it's small and reasonably priced. I got mine used on ebay for about $40.
                      In fact, I like Guyatone so much I also have their MD-3 delay and HD-2 harmonic distortion pedal, which is actually a really nice fuzz, on my pedal board, too.

Comment

here's a link to Guyatone's website:

Comment

Thisis of topic, but has anyone tried the guyatone distortion pedals? How do they sound?

Comment

Working...
                          X