question about fret filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about fret filing

i dont know why but whenever i heard someone mention fret filing i always thought it meant fretboard filing. However, it just means filing the actual frets right ? I also hear people saying that this is a job for techs, but whats so hard about it ? and what do you use to file them ? Im asking because (semi long story ahead) ... I was intonating my guitar the other day and everything was going fine until i got to my g string. The fretted note was to sharp compared to the harmonic note and the saddle was as far back as it could go. Well, i solved the problem by lowering my bridge a bit on the high e side, but my high e string doesnt has string buzz when played on the 20th or 19th fret (because its hitting the fret in front of it). Now, could i just file this fret down with no worrires, or is it something that shouldn't be done ? im really new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: question about fret filing

my first response would be don't do it yourself, if you have to ask

you'd likely be chasing your problem all the way down your fretboard

I'd look at more simple solutions first, like looking at your fretboard relief
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

my neck is relieved just a bit ... the only other thing i would look at is raisng my nut a bit on the high e side by stiking a piece of cardboard under there, but it just seems easier to file the fret down a bit until the string doesnt interfere with it anymore ? What are the side effects of doing this ? and why does everyone say leave it to a professional ? Im fairly good with my hands and a quick learner, plus i have a junk guitar to practice on. So, could anyone just tell me the step by step steps to filing a fret and why it should or should nt be done ?

Comment

lowering your nut won't help your fretting out problem

I'm just not convinced from what you've said that fret filing would be the right solution

to do the job, though, you'd need fret files, which aren't cheap, and a good book, like Erlewine's "Repair Guide"

maybe some of the more experienced luthiers will weigh in, though
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

You should check that the fret isn't loose before you file. That a
          common problem when it's just one fret is buzzing. What kind of
          files are you useing? When you file a fret it must be crowned and
          polished If not the whole area or board be leveled. If you plan on
          doing your own repairs you shoud start accumulating the right
          tools. Stewmac sells all that stuff. there's some good websites
          that have tutoroils on guitar repair. I don't know the URL off hand
          check the vault or use a search engine. And keep working with
          junkers untill you develop you skills.
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

It may need a very mild grind and polish--but, let me ask: Is it a bolt on neck? You can shim it with either a thin taper of walnut or maple (or even a business card). If you are handy with tools, you may be able to do that safely as it won't harm your instrument. You may have a hump at the upper end of the fretboard resulting in one or more frets being higher than the ones just below them, and if the neck is set, fret filing may help, but I would avoid working on a good guitar for your first attempt--there's more to it than meets the eye. In fact, ask around about the shimming--a tech should do it for fairly cheap.
            Last edited by Boston Joe; 06-23-2004, 11:52 PM.

Comment

the neck is not a bolt on.
              thanks for all the replys so far.

well, the guitar fixed itself. theres no more fret buzz there. I think it might be because of an adjustment i made to the truss rod earlier today thats just taking place now.

Comment

yeah, truss adjusments, like some other adjustments, are best done in small increments - say no more than a quarter turn at a time, and they often do take a day or two to settle in
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Working...
                X