What's wrong with Vox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with Vox?

You'd think for 1400 dollars, they'd be able to build a better amp than this. I mean, it sounds amazing and stuff, but... it's so problematic... it's insane. First, it wouldn't ground with the Boss switcher, then it burned out ALL four of the power tubes simultaniously and now it's making a creepy metalic rattal. So, I've taken it in twice and replaced my switcher for this amp.

So, anyone have gear like this? Pay a ton of money for it only to have it wig out on you?
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: What's wrong with Vox?

Well gear craps out from time to time!
    No matter who makes it.

Comment

Man, you sure its the amp? There might be a little mistreatment in there somewhere, such as pushing the amp too hard for too long, not using the standby switch, bumping into the on/off switch, ect....Now the thing about the boss switcher isnt the amps problem, it wasnt meant to be used in conjunction with it. As for the eery metalic sound, perhaps something with the reverb?
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

i kind of remeber you saying something about getting an AC30.... and if your talking about an amp that is over 30 years old you have to expect some problems... if your talking about 1 of the newer point to poiint reissues than you shouldnt be having any problem with it.... the point to point AC30 reissuie is 1 of the sweetest amps out there
        '05 Gibson SG Standard
        '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
        PRS IRW McCarty
        '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
        82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

I have a regular AC30 reissue that I've been babying. I've never pushed it too hard or even played it for two long for fear of something like this happening. I've had it for a month and a half, maybe a little more. I've recently had a slew of electronics crapping out on me, my cell phone, my regular phone, my stereo.... maybe I'm charged with some bad voodoo. I did buy it used, though, so, they probably sold me the AC30 with old tubes or something. And it doesn't have reverb, so it can't be that making the noise.
          Last edited by Indie P Bass; 06-24-2004, 09:04 AM.

Comment

With Class A amps like that, you've got to have good fresh tubes. Also, since they run hot, sometimes the tube sockets get weak and rattle, or other internal parts.
            First, contact revolutionguitar.com, buy a complete set of Tesla JJ's incl pre's, spray some contact cleaner into the input jacks, and maybe into the tube sockets before carefully pushing the tubes in. You don't need to bias that amp, so that might cure all your problems.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I actually just put in a set, and... here's great news.... the check engine light came on in my '96 eagle... I popped the hood, she's shot. I'm out a car, an amp, a cell phone and a house phone, ain't that great? my life is just shaping up. Anyway, the amp sounds great as long as I ignore the buzz/rattle.

Comment

Working...
              X