No announcement yet.

which is brighter: maple or pau ferro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is brighter: maple or pau ferro?

Hey guys, I'm checking out Warmoth necks on Ebay for my Strat project, can anyone tell me how pau ferro compares to maple? According to Warmoth's site, it's brighter than rosewood, but not as bright as ebony. I found a neck that's absolutely perfect in every way, except that it has a pau ferro fretboard instead of rosewood. I had planned on going with a rosewood fretboard for a little more warmth, but I might consider going with pau ferro if it's not too bright. Does anyone know anything about this wood? Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: which is brighter: maple or pau ferro?

Pau Ferro is a great inbetween wood.
    Ironwood hehe.

Comment

Pau ferro boards is used on the SRV strats and is tonally in sound between a maple and rosewood in sound. It is quite often used on bass guitars to have that slight snappier sound but still have that warm feeling.

Personally I don't like them on guitars because I think it does take away some of the resonance of the neck wood, but you do have to also balance wiith what else you are doing with the guitar. I think the SRV guitars have a problem in this respect in that the neck does not naturally give you that feeling.
      Normans Guitars

Comment

May I join the religion of resonance

Comment

Working...
        X