Favorite Tubes for High-Gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Tubes for High-Gain?

In addition to the other threads started about tubes, I'd like one last tally of what players like. I mostly play Metal, so we'll stick to the title. This is for both Power and Pre-amp. Thanks a lot, if you want - feel free to go in depth as much as naming not only the brand but the model. Thanks.

BTW - Main amp is a Single Rectifier, if that will alter your opinion at all...

Jon

Re: Favorite Tubes for High-Gain?

This won't help you, but I love EL34s and the new GT 12AX7Ms really make a difference. Crunch and sustain for days
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      This won't help you, but I love EL34s and the new GT 12AX7Ms really make a difference. Crunch and sustain for days
      No problem bro, but yes, I'm sticking to 6L6.

Comment

I like using the Combo of EH12ax7s for Preamp and JJ 6L6GCs for the poweramp. The EHs have more highs and bite to them, but the JJ 6L6s tame them down. I also like using JJ ECC83S in the phase invertor socket. Definitly help clean and tighted up the sound more.

I get my tubes from Doug at www.dougstubes.com

The EHs I get gradated for gain at 110mu each. Maybe sound like its alot, but it does help sorta thicken up the tone a bit. Also, if your amp has a fixed/set bias where you cant adjust it unless modded, then I suggest you getting a "hot" matched pair of quad of power tubes. Basicly they will help raise the bias level warmer without you having to mod the amp.

good luck,
        Duke
        www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

6L6s always seemed to gritty for me. i like my el34s because they have that kinda pop to them. they are also smoother and sing more. imo
          Down at the edge, close by a river.
          Close to the edge, round by the corner.
          Close to the end, down by the corner.
          Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

For highgain metal, the best tubes are Svetlana 6L6's with GT 12AX7C (chinese, stock in Bogners) or the mondo expensive GT 12AX7M's ($23 a piece).

The reason I opt for Svetlana 6L6's over JJ's in gainy amps is because Svets are built super rugged, which means they won't rattle internally when a halfstack is cranked and vibrating. They also last a long time and have a warmer and smoother tone than JJ's, which sound good, but are a tad brighter and glassier sounding.

The best pre's I've heard in highgain amps are GT 12AX7C's and M's, Sovtek 12AX7LPS,
            Telefunkens, Amperex, and Mullards. You won't find those 3 at normal prices tho.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hey thanks everyone for the quick replies. Anyone else have ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                For highgain metal, the best tubes are Svetlana 6L6's with GT 12AX7C (chinese, stock in Bogners) or the mondo expensive GT 12AX7M's ($23 a piece).

The reason I opt for Svetlana 6L6's over JJ's in gainy amps is because Svets are built super rugged, which means they won't rattle internally when a halfstack is cranked and vibrating. They also last a long time and have a warmer and smoother tone than JJ's, which sound good, but are a tad brighter and glassier sounding.

The best pre's I've heard in highgain amps are GT 12AX7C's and M's, Sovtek 12AX7LPS,
                Telefunkens, Amperex, and Mullards. You won't find those 3 at normal prices tho.
                Comparing the Groove Tubes, between the 12AX7C and the 12AX7M, what major differences are there besides the cost? And is the cost worth it? Also have you tried the GT 6L6C and 6L6S, if so what do you think about those? Thanks gearjoneser, I know this is a lot of once, but I've got a wild assumption that you're pretty familiar with this kind of stuff.

Comment

The best results I've had so far in my amps has been:
                  (Marshall JCM800) circa 1970 Siemens 12AX7A's (made in Germany) and Groove Tubes EL34s for the power section.
                  (Engl 580 Preamp) 2 x GT 12AX7C ... I think I got them from GC for $20/each.
                  (Rivera K100) GT 12AX7's ... this amp takes a lot of them, like 5!! I'm currently using GT EL34s, and have had varying results, so I will probably try Electro Harmonix next round ...
                  (Marshall EL34 100/100) Thankfully, I haven't had to swap out the 12-15 tubes that are within this beast yet!!!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

So you like the GT Preamp tubes as well...but you say that you're going to give EH a try next?

If you're trying to figure out which tube you like the most? Is it logical to simply replace the V1 tube socket with the variety of tubes? That way you could hear the tonal qualities of each? Then you can deposit the serious dough for the 4 other 12AX7s that you need?

Comment

EDIT: Forget what I just said, I actually read your post!! lol

Yes, that's a good idea, actually. I can tell you, in the Rivera, I don't like the GT's tho ...

For the Marshall, tho, the Siemens are the best thus far. But, very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                        EDIT: Forget what I just said, I actually read your post!! lol

Yes, that's a good idea, actually. I can tell you, in the Rivera, I don't like the GT's tho ...

For the Marshall, tho, the Siemens are the best thus far. But, very expensive.
                        LOL. I was wondering why you totally disregarded the second half of my last post!

Good to hear about the idea of swapping the V1 tube socket with the various models, though. I think I'll go through with that.

Now, I got some more Q's for you...you're not off the hook yet, Mr. Twilight Odyssey!

1) Siemens...where can I buy those? Can't seem to find a place, yet.
                        2) You've had experience with the GT 12AX7Cs, have you played through the 12AX7Ms? If so, could you refer back to my post questioning gearjoneser about these tubes, and please answer it?

Mucho gracias!

Comment

Between the GT 12AX7C's and M's....The C's have tight highgain, retain clarity, and are my favorite tube for amps built for gain. The M's are real fat and super gainy, but may be overkill in some amps. I'd put those in a single channel Marshall to beef it up.

For 6L6's, definitely get winged C logo Svetlana or GT6L6GC, the expensive ones.
                          Don't ever buy GT6L6C's. chinese pres sound great, chinese power tubes SUCK!

All I know is that if I had a Mesa Single Rec, I'd get Svetlana 6L6's and pay $14 a piece for GT12AX7C's. IMO, that's about as good as you can get for a Rectifier.
                          If you want to warm up the amp and tame the gain, use Tesla JJ preamp tubes.
                          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-16-2004, 12:48 PM.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                            Between the GT 12AX7C's and M's....The C's have night highgain, retain clarity, and are my favorite tube for amps built for gain. The M's are real fat and super gainy, but may be overkill in some amps. I'd put those in a single channel Marshall to beef it up.

For 6L6's, definitely get winged C logo Svetlana or GT6L6GC, the expensive ones.
                            Don't ever buy GT6L6C's. chinese pres sound great, chinese power tubes SUCK!

All I know is that if I had a Mesa Single Rec, I'd get Svetlana 6L6's and pay $14 a piece for GT12AX7C's. IMO, that's about as good as you can get for a Rectifier.
                            If you want to warm up the amp and tame the gain, use Tesla JJ preamp tubes.
                            Thanks for the advice and logics, friend. It looks like those Chinese Preamp Grooves are being recommended left and right, so I just may have to pop those in!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
                              Now, I got some more Q's for you...you're not off the hook yet, Mr. Twilight Odyssey!

1) Siemens...where can I buy those? Can't seem to find a place, yet.
                              2) You've had experience with the GT 12AX7Cs, have you played through the 12AX7Ms? If so, could you refer back to my post questioning gearjoneser about these tubes, and please answer it?
                              Mucho gracias!
                              K, I will try to answer those Q's:
                              1. Siemens ... they're old NOS tubes, so you will need to Google it, in all likelihood, or find a german site. (http://www.hf-shop.de/tubes_-_Rohren...p_tubes_i.html) Expect to pay around 15 Euro per tube ...
                              2. The Ms are Mullard or JAN re-creations by GT. I never directly compared, but I think that the M's might be a bit quieter. More of a Gearjonser Q, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X