my last thread about fender amps i swear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my last thread about fender amps i swear

okay, so i went down to the shop, unfortunately no deville 2x12's, but they did have a deluxe with one 12, 40 watts i think, and it sounded, hmm, plenty loud, i didn't get it past 3 for fear of getting kicked out & annoying the crap outta the rest of the people, but yeah. Origionally i wanted the extra 20 watts, mainly because i didn't want it to overdrive at high volumes, so, how high do you hafta crank it before it starts overdriving? It needs to be able to do lead lines over drums, about 90 ss watts of bass, and prolly 130 ss of rythm guitar. Also, there was a used cyber amp in there (you know, the modeling ones) i'm 90% sure it was the 120 watt one, but it was only $450, should i go for that instead?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: my last thread about fender amps i swear

40w tube can handle 130 ss watts. If you like the Deluxe, I say go for it. It all depends what you want. I know a few people that like those cyber amps, so if you like ss, it might be worth checking out... if the price is right to you, look into it.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

no i don't really like ss sounds, but its a modeling amp, so it can simulate tube sounds, I'm not sure if they're as good as actual tube sounds though. I guess I'm asking if they are & what the benefits of a cyber would be, and whats bad about them. Also if the wattage is the onyl difference between the deville & the deluxe, and if so, the benefits of 2 12's besides overall volume
      Last edited by drew_half_empty; 06-26-2004, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I had the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for about a year....it's a damn loud amp. More than enough to play with a 4-5 piece group without miking.

The cleans are really pretty decent, and can be made a ton better with a different speaker and some good NOS or other tubes. The OD channel(s) are where that amp lacked IMO. Again, a speaker change and some good pre and power tubes will make a world of difference.

If you are not looking for Marshall type grind, the Deluxe makes a great platform for using distortion pedals. It take them very well.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

dont worry about the many threads, lol, i went on a streak of about 8 duane allman threads.....lol
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
            I had the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for about a year....it's a damn loud amp. More than enough to play with a 4-5 piece group without miking.

The cleans are really pretty decent, and can be made a ton better with a different speaker and some good NOS or other tubes. The OD channel(s) are where that amp lacked IMO. Again, a speaker change and some good pre and power tubes will make a world of difference.

If you are not looking for Marshall type grind, the Deluxe makes a great platform for using distortion pedals. It take them very well.

well here was my plan, get a good amp, then get a danelectro dan-echo, then a rat2 (best analog IMO), then an EQ since the amp doesn't have seperate ones for drive & clean. Would all these sound good with the tube & all? I've only heard them thru solid states. But, if new speakers would fix the crappy drive, and be around the same price, i may consider it

Comment

guy in my band just bought a hot rod deville - plenty loud and we have 2 guitars keys bass and drums .. he plays mostly clean sounds and it sounds great with both his mexicaster and a guild bluesbird ... it's a judgement call about the cyber .. modeling is cool and flexible with little need for a lot of outboard gear .. tube amps are just plain cool with tone out the wazoo when set up right .. enjoy

cheers
              t4d
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

i don't imagine i'll ever have to play over more than another guitar, drums, and a bass tho. Plus the extra couple hundred would get me the pedals faster. You think playing over all that would make it overdrive tho? how loud exactly DOES it have to be to overdrive, knob at like 9 or 10?

Comment

With the right pedals, you don't need to crank your tube amp. Tube amps are great because pedals work so much better with them than anything solid state. A good overdrive will get you there or for harder stuff, your RAT will work fine.
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

so what would the right pedals be? do you mean like messing with the levels on them? cuz i think that would make it overdrive too, im not sure tho. So the deluxe WOULD be able to play leads over an avt150, bass, and drums? like ones that really stand out? without the amp naturally overdriving, that is

Comment

i was also offered a 60 watt tube crate for $50, but i figured by the time i got new speakers & everything else to get it to sound like this amp i'd end up spending about the same. Wise choice or no?

Comment

nah - i'd stay away from the used crate ... when upgrading gear, i think it's best to keep focused on better and better stuff ... i'd be nervous about a used modeler too unless i knew the previous owner and how it was kept .. too many things can go wrong with a computer, (which IMO is exactly what a modeler is)

yunno, i think you just gotta go play the amp(s) ... ask to play in a loud room if you need to see how well it will crank ... i'm sure you'll get a feel for what you want to do after you've had your fingers and ears involved in the sound .. get an amp that you like the sound of .. you can always add the pedals, speakers, etc in the future ... but the base sound has to be there .. and the fenders you mentioned have a solid base to build on

cheers
                        t4d
                        Last edited by tone4days; 06-27-2004, 11:31 AM.
                        gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

yeah, i'm just kind of reluctant to turn the amp up loud enough to where it starts overdriving in the store to see when that is. I do know that a stage 100 can EASILY play leads over our current setup tho, so if fender tubes follow fender ss traditions of actually being louder than they seem, 40 watts should be fine...i think, i suck at descision making

Comment

I like my Tubescreamer for overdriving the amp. For distortion, it's hard to beat the G2D, Banzai or ToneBone effects

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                              yeah, i'm just kind of reluctant to turn the amp up loud enough to where it starts overdriving in the store to see when that is. I do know that a stage 100 can EASILY play leads over our current setup tho, so if fender tubes follow fender ss traditions of actually being louder than they seem, 40 watts should be fine...i think, i suck at descision making
                              well, like i said, if you tell the guy that you are serious about buying, but you want to know how it is going to sound, it is reasonable to think that he'll let you crank it for a brief while .. long enough for you to bash some chords and wail some single note stuff .. you'll quickly get an idea ...

as for sucking at decisions, look at it this way .. no matter what you choose, you'll end up with something better than you have now ... and as for the options you dont choose now, you can always go back and choose them for your nexxt GAS urge .. it's all good, man .. dont let it terribly stress you ..
                              gear list in profile

Comment

Working...
                              X