Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Recommendations for Electric?

Hi-

I don't want this to turn into one of those threads with 50 entries... but...

I was wondering who makes the best quality-per-dollar for electric guitar strings. I'm looking for either 0.010-0.046 or 0.010-0.052 sets. Let me emphasize the "per-dollar" aspect of things, since I know there are probably some really decent strings out there for > $20/set.

Also, if you can recommend a good discount web-based distributor, that would be great.

I've been playing for 20 years, but I've never really paid as much attention to strings as I probably should. Usually I use either D'Addario or Ernie Ball. At one point, a friend gave me a case of Yamaha strings, which were supposedly crap, but I didn't detect that much of a difference.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for asking a potential "roll-call" type of question.
    Check out the website for my band, Wilgus

Remember... If you're not angry, you're not paying attention!!

Re: String Recommendations for Electric?

www.juststrings.com has lot's 'o strings at good prices.

I play custom 10.5 GHS boomers.
    (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

I play GHS Super Steels 010 - 046 or D'addario 010 - 046, depends on what's in stock in the store which i'm a regular customer to
      100% Bass player

Comment

EB's, went to the more expensive strings like Elixir's, loved them at first, but after about a week their glow started deteriorrating and they became less than average strings and broke within a few days. EB's have always been reliable and cheap.

Comment

You can't go wrong with DR's
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

ernie balls.

never break them, tone and feel i like (and more to the point im used to, switched to dean markley blue steels for a bit but they were harder to bend + brighter)
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I love the tone and durability of Everly's B-52 Rockers. They last ages and sound almost like new throughout their life.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

EB's Slinkys...cannot believe Fender Super Bullets broke so easily (wound) as EB's never did, I won't switch again.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                Celestion speakers
                Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                Too many pedals....

Comment

And what about Dean Markley Blue Steel's? Greatest tone ever heard...

Comment

I find Ernie Balls, GHS Boomers and Dean Markleys are all good. Currently using GHS Boomers. I used D'Addarios for a while, but had several plain strings where the winding that holds the ball ends came undone. Also I found their environmentally friendly packing method to be a pain in the butt when frantically looking for a particular string in a gig environment.

Comment

EB's are my favourites (10's) but I also use PRS strings for my PRS's and these are 9.5. I go through something like 30-40 sets a year - no problems with breakages and consistent with EB's. Elixir's - biggest waste of time and I gave them away, D'addario' alright but tend not to go off after a while and suffer the odd breakages at the ball end.

I think if you buy them in sufficient quantity (probably 10 or more) you should be able to get decent prices - in the US you have a number of places that you can get these on line - unless you are friendly with your local store.
                      Normans Guitars

Comment

Strings are very much like guitars. Some work better for some people than others. A lot of string detoriation can be eliminated if you wipe down the strings and fingerboard after you are through playing. If your hands sweat a lot you will have to replace any string brand faster than if you don't. My preference may not be the same as yours and this does not mean that either of us are wrong, we may be looking for different things out of strings. Some players may look for a bright sound, so they prefer stainless steel, where somweone else is looking for more bottom end, so they choose a heavier string. I use D'addario XL115's(11 thru 49) on my electric guitars, and I use J17's(13 thru 56) on all my acoustic guitars. For me these strings last excepionally long time, and they play really well. I buy my strings by the case(10 packs) the electrics run about $2.50 per set this way(electric) The acoustics are about $5.00 per set. In my case I get a good 2 to 3 months life out of all. I have a lot of guitars, and I keep a record in the case of when I changed strings last. I have gone in some cases 5 to 6 months before the strings needed to be changed. But keep in mind I don't play all guitars every day. For the most part I let my ear guide me on how the strings sound to how often I change them. I rarely break strings, so that is not an issue. D'addario just recently developed a "box" which has 25 sets unpackaged set up with 25 strings of each gauge. These are currently only available in acoustic sets (J16 and 17). The electric sets will be available by the end of the year. If you have a lot of guitars and change strings frequently this will probably be the least expensive way to buy good quality strings.
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Ernie Balls here too. Found them to have a nice sound, reasonable price, bend nicely (XL's are a bit 'stiffer') and basically I've tried most other brands and kept coming back to EB's... 'If it aint broke, don't fix it...'
                          'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Originally posted by edi_87
                            And what about Dean Markley Blue Steel's? Greatest tone ever heard...
                            i got a set of those on my bass, love them.
                            The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

Working...
                            X