banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't you see too many TUBE bass amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why don't you see too many TUBE bass amps?

i always though it was just having a valve output stage took away all your *clean* clean headroom, where most bassists just want the basses' tone a good bit louder - none of the warm breakup stuff

sure, all the gigs ive played *not many* the bass amp has been hooked straight into the P.A via a D.I. out... leaving the amp itself almost as a monitor. means the sound is more spread out over the stage

Comment

Gallien Krueger is all SS all the time. Ampeg DOES make hybrid amps, but yall are forgetting 2 of the best amps ever - the SVT and the V4. Both are all tube. Fender has the 300 watt model they 'stole' from Sunn when they bought them out.

I've never heard a crisp trebly tube bass amp, unless you EQ it that way. When left flat, a tube amp will be warm, thick, and have a good kick to them. It also depends greatly on the speaker cab you use.

Any more questions on bass amps? Ask someone who actually knows.

Comment

::crawls out from under rock, sheilds eyes from the bright sunlight::

Comment

My bass player uses an early '60s Gibson Discoverer Tremelo tube amp. Of course he runs clean only but it seems to serve him well. He can be heard but doesn't overpower anyone and has anice clean tone.
          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

weight, price. you need lots of wattage for bass. you also need more circuitry and that's expensive. like indiepbass said you dont usually go for breakup with bass also.

Comment

Yeah, the weight factor with some bass heads has a lot to do with it. My old Ampeg SVT bass head is about 90 pounds!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
                My old Ampeg SVT bass head is about 90 pounds!!
                that's what roadies are for!!!

Comment

Simply put, all tube bass amps are a pain in the ass! Also, bass players are always a little more "cutting edge", with all there active on board EQ's and stuff, guitar players are purists and no ones takin are tubes!
                  EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Working...
                  X