Cab Speaker Config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Speaker Config

All right, I'm hoping this week to have enough money to buy an Avatar cab, (anybody have one of these, are they any good?), 4X12 with two Classic Lead 80's and two Vintage 30's. What I'd like some advice on is what speaker pattern to use.

Should I have the speakers placed in an X pattern?

Should I put the two Lead 80's on top and the V30's on the bottom?

Should I put the V30's on the top and the Lead 80's on bottom?
    Last edited by jadedlikeme; 06-30-2004, 09:10 AM.

Re: Cab Speaker Config

Avatar is all I use and I think they are great. No particle board and solid construction. I would go with the X pattern personally.
    Low wattage rocks!
    Bumbox Lead 1
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox 120VTH
    ----------------------
    Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
    Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

That's good to know. Thanks!

I'm thinking either the X pattern or the Lead 80's on top, since they are the brighter pair of speakers. Is it wise to put the brighter speakers on top, you think?

Comment

What style of cab are you getting? Straight or slant?
        Low wattage rocks!
        Bumbox Lead 1
        Orange Tiny Terror
        Vox 120VTH
        ----------------------

Comment

Straight. The slant isn't big enough on the top to hold my amp head.

I was also wondering wether to get the mono or stereo input jacks. The amp I have does 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms. What's the mono and stereo stuff about?

Comment

Mono is where all your speakers will be seeing the exact same signal. If it were in stereo it would be split up amongst the speakers (or cabs). For an example, lets say you you were running some chorus (in stereo) you could hear the panning of the signal going from the left side to the right side of your cab as the speakers get the signal. Chorus and delay sound really nice in stereo. Listen to Zakks clean tone. The guy always uses good stereo chorus. I wouldnt sweat it though, your speaker outs will be mono coming from the amp.

I would still vote for the X pattern on your cab, just because I dont want all the highs up top and lows at the bottom. I would rather have the sound a good mix of both. Thats just me though. I read about a lot of guys doing it the top/bottom route. Either way, you've got kick ass speakers so its going to sound good.

Marshall head right??
            Low wattage rocks!
            Bumbox Lead 1
            Orange Tiny Terror
            Vox 120VTH
            ----------------------

Comment

Yeah, the X pattern will certainly blend everything well -- it'll be a nice balance. I was just thinking of doing the top-bottom config if it were possible to have it wired so that I could just play the Lead 80's, or just play the V30's, then be able to play all four. Thought that might be a cool option. Don't know if it's possible for Dave at Avatar to do that though. I think I'll just stick with the X pattern anyway, I don't want the sound to be off balance.

So my speaker outs are mono coming from the amp, so even if it's a stereo cab it will just be playing mono, unless I have two-cabs with the amp... or have a stereo effect like the chorus? Did I get that right?

Marshall head? I wish! A bit expensive for me at the moment. But I have a pretty nice little Randall RH100G2. It does me good for now.

Hey, thanks for all the help J.

Comment

Originally posted by jadedlikeme
                Yeah, the X pattern will certainly blend everything well -- it'll be a nice balance. I was just thinking of doing the top-bottom config if it were possible to have it wired so that I could just play the Lead 80's, or just play the V30's, then be able to play all four. Thought that might be a cool option. Don't know if it's possible for Dave at Avatar to do that though. I think I'll just stick with the X pattern anyway, I don't want the sound to be off balance.

So my speaker outs are mono coming from the amp, so even if it's a stereo cab it will just be playing mono, unless I have two-cabs with the amp... or have a stereo effect like the chorus? Did I get that right?

Ask Dave at Avatar if the top portion of your post is possible. I don't see why it wouldnt be.

I'm not sure what would happen if you plugged a mono signal into a stereo wired cab. Probably nothing detrimental to the amp as its still seeing the 8 ohm load. They only way to get stereo sound is if your ouput is stereo. Most stereo set-ups are rack units with multi effects processors etc etc. I used chorus as an example because you can really hear it well when its stereo. Either way I would get 8 ohm mono. I say get 8 because then you can use your cab with just about every head out there.

What speakers are you using now? Is that Randall a head or combo? Oh and what kind of music do you play? Reason I ask is because if you are into harder music, I would get a closed back over the open back cab. You get a much better bass response from closed back cabs.

J
                Low wattage rocks!
                Bumbox Lead 1
                Orange Tiny Terror
                Vox 120VTH
                ----------------------

Comment

I recommend the x pattern too. I think it sounds more full since you get a better balance when you stand in front of it.
                  My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
                    Ask Dave at Avatar if the top portion of your post is possible. I don't see why it wouldnt be.
                    Either way I would get 8 ohm mono. I say get 8 because then you can use your cab with just about every head out there.

What speakers are you using now? Is that Randall a head or combo? Oh and what kind of music do you play? Reason I ask is because if you are into harder music, I would get a closed back over the open back cab. You get a much better bass response from closed back cabs.

J
                    Cool, I'll do the 8 Ohm mono, and X pattern it. When I talk to Dave I'll see if it's possible for him to wire it in my "special way" lol.

Right now I'm using two homemade cabs. A 10" Jensen P10Q, pretty nice sounding little speaker. And a 15" conn speaker, that hardly has anything to offer, except bass and even that's kind of muddy. Both cabs are open back. The Randall is a 100 watt Head and yeah, I'm into harder music -- hard rock, metal, classic rock.

Are the open back 4X12's like 3/4 closed -- like in that 2X12 picture on the Avatar web page?

Comment

I think thats the way the backs are on the 4x12s as well. I have both (open and closed backs) and like the closed back better. They are more directional and the bass response kicks ass. The open backs seem louder and more airy/open. With you playing rock closed back is the way to go. Your palm mutes will kick you in the chest! Your going to be so pumped the first time you plug that head into your new cab. Your going to have to let us know how you like it.

So when are you buying it again?

J
                      Low wattage rocks!
                      Bumbox Lead 1
                      Orange Tiny Terror
                      Vox 120VTH
                      ----------------------

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait to get those speakers. I'll go closed back for sure. Hopefully I'll have the money for it after this weekend and be able to place an order next week sometime. It'll be nice to have a finished off half stack ready to go, instead of a couple of homemade pine boxes with speakers in them. lol I'll let ya know how it sounds when I get it!

Thanks again J, you've been a HUGE help!

Comment

Working...
                        X