Ampeg V4 guitarhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ampeg V4 guitarhead

yes it still works for me.....maybe you could try http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm

a lil ways down on the page it says somethin like "Help! my amp has 7027s!"
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Thanks man, that one worked

Comment

How much are V4's going for nowadays? Is it another sleeper deal or will these run you pretty expensive?
        7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

they are pretty cool amps in my opinion.....not a conventional sound, but unique i should say....... certainly they are not high end amps...... but they are cool workhorse amps for loud 60s and 70s rock and british bands

generally you can get them for$300-400..... but i recently saw an ad here for one for $125.......i look back and i should have bought it....eh....

you must realize that these are LOUD LOUD LOUD.......like sick loud, and not the greatest of amps if your just starting out gigging in small places.especially cause they weigh a ton also..... i definately prefer the earlier ones without master volumes........ and they have some cool switches that adjust certain midrange frequencies and thats cool......also dont expect a whole lot of gain if you get a non master volume, i played one that didnt break up at all, but most usually get some cool grit ala Rolling Stones

im going to be buying the combo version VT22 and put some casters on it so i can push it around (it weighs something like 90-100lbs !!!).......

for the money i think their good solid tube amps with a cool sound, and their pretty well built and usually youll find that they are in bad condition (rust, scrapped, torn) but they generally all keep working despite being road tested.....
          http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
          >cord<
          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Like the Hiwatts they should work pretty well with pedals.
            But one of our techs has made a clone some years ago, after summerbreak we will give it a testride

Comment

I have a V-4 bass amp from that era, that I sometimes used to play guitar through. I threw out my knee taking it down a flight of stairs and had to go to the emergency room. It was unbelievably loud, but sounded pretty good at merely loud volumes - i.e. the volume that someone in a band with a loud drummer would play at in a medium sized room.

It sounded clean, but had a fair amount of bite - even the clean sounds had a little cruncheroo, but it wasn't really distortion it was just...well you'd have to hear one to understand, but it's not a Fender clean. It had about a zillion times more low end than most Marshalls, and distorted less. It's very good for a particular kind of clean/dirty 70s hard rock sound.

Ampegs can have a tendency to be a pain in the ass due to oddball tubes, oddball designs and weight, but they sound really good a lot of the time if you want a low-priced amp with a lot of character.

Comment

also to note. do not put 6L6 in these amps, no matter what anyone tells you. the V-4 has a B+ rail of around 560 to 580, and will smoke a normal 6L6, especially new ones. i have done it, so trust me on this.
                coool sounding amps, by the way.

germ
                Jeremy Ledford
                Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                Tone Shop

Comment

hmm... what are the controls on the V4 guitar head? I'm thinking about picking one up. There built in gain? If Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age uses one, would this amp alone nail that tone, or does he use a pedal in front of the amp to add gain to the signal? Thanks for the help.
                  7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

The guitarist in one of the bands I play in owns two of them and they are pretty cool.

7027s are easy to come by.

They can be reworked for 6L6s.

They are very loud.

They can be had for $300 if you look around.
                    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
                    X