Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a fuzz pedal

mebbe one of these?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Alright...I have ti say this before getting deeper into this topic at all.

No one really know what model Supro Jimmy used on LZI but there is no way to my ears it had a 6x9 speaker...amps that do have a VERY signature sound and it's a sound I do NOT hear on any Zep stuff.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Moving on...I can't listen to the BB clip because it's been removed btu I do have some facts that might help...

There are 2 versions of Communication Breakdown on the BBC sessions.

The version from disc 1 was recorded live March 3rd 1969 the version from disc 2 was recorded live April 1st 1971

Jimmy bought his first burst Les Paul (the one he calls number 1) from Joe Walsh "mid April 1969

So, if you have the BBC disc the first Communication Break down is his almost w/o a doubt Tele and the second version would almost for sure be his Les Paul.

As for amps Jimmy used Solid State Rickenbacker amps a lot during that period.

Effects...Grey Vox wah (Pre Clyde), MK II Tone Bender and Echoplex.

By 1971 it was full on Les Paul and Marshall but by that time the MK II was completely gone form Jimmys set up...

Here is a 4 song clip from March 1969 (this had to be within 7-10 days of the first BBC session and I'd bet this is THE rig he used form that session.)...the fuzz can be herd to great effect in this clip.

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The clip I am talking about, is the 1971 version. I just thought he used a fuzz in the early days with the Les Paul as well.. Bugger.

Comment

Nope...not much if at all.

The LP gave him more sustain and crunch over the Tele so he sort of ditched the fuzz however there was a time when he was using a funky old transistor driven booster made by Univox called the Uni-Drive...

I dunno if he was using it in 1971 or not but it might be worth digging into however a Les Paul into a Super Lead will get most of those early 70's Zep tones...

Comment

Have you tried all (or any) of the page tones from the customtone site?
              Find one that sounds close to what you want, and then adjust to match your guitar.
              Honestly its gonna sound as close as running an external pedal into the POD anyway and it is free.
              Originally posted by MikeS
              a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
              Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
              whats becoming of this generation
              We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Does anyone care what Page used or didn't use?

You should just hit a shop with a bunch of fuzz pedals, and figure out what exact flavor of that effect you like.

I think my three favorte are the Bonamassa FF for it's cleaner fatter quality, then the Jimi FF for it's straight up the middle ability to give you a great FF sound. One of my favorite pedals is also the T Rex Mudhoney for it's ability to be an OD or an over the top sustaining river of tonal mud.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Apart from my JB fuzz face the only other pedal I've had is a Keeley Fuzz Head. I sold it and didn't realise how versatile it was until I sold it! It's kind of a hybrid fuzz/ drive pedal, I'm going to look for another at some point.

Comment

hello
                    i look for a pedal for the bbc sessions
                    communication breakdown

i want more high mids than a big muff

Comment

Working...
                    X