Need Phaser and Flanger recommendations cheap and expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Phaser and Flanger recommendations cheap and expensive

I might be getting a new gig soon and will more than likely need some pedal for this one. The gig is basically a cover band but the keyboardist is actually from the original group and wants everything spot on as far as tones and parts. Most of the songs are from the 70's and early 80's so a lot of funk, disco, and R&B. Aside from a Wah, Phaser, and Flanger is their any thing else I might want to have on my board?

This sounds more like a Phaser

Solo starts at 2:45 Sounds like Fuzz with a flanger maybe?

I know this has a Wah pedal and I have that covered.

Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: Need Phaser and Flanger recommendations cheap and expensive

The MXR phase 90 and EHX Small Stone are two of the most well known, pretty cheap phasers you can find. A lot of funk and r&b uses very very clean tones, so a compressor can come in handy as well since there's not as much gain to even out your playing.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

MXR Phase 90 and MicroFlange are my choices in phasing and Flanging respectively..

Comment

Phase 90 is simple and fantastic sounding. If you save up money the moog stage phaser is insane. Flange/chorus I like the small stone, boss ce1, and the electric mistress or the deluxe one. Wahs there are so many good ones. Vox, crybaby, and ibanez are my favorites. Personally the ibanez wh10 is my favorite with the vox as a close second.

Comment

The Strymon Mobius is incredible, particularly the phasers and flangers. Plus, you get pretty much everything else your heart might desire.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Yup. Strymon Mobius for every modulation effect in a box.
            Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser sounds awesome, can emulate the two most classic flangers: the MXR Phase 90 and the EH Small Stone, without the drawbacks of those classic designs.
            Flanger, MXR M-117, it's DA flanger.
            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I play quite a bit of 60s/70s r&b and I use an MXR phase 45...love the tone.

Comment

Can't go wrong with MXR for modulation imo. Reasonably priced, simple and sounds like it's supposed to.
                For funk I'd look into compression too. The Earthquaker Devices The Warden optical compressor caught my ear.

Comment

You'd be hard pressed to find a better phaser than the Phase 90.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                    You'd be hard pressed to find a better phaser than the Phase 90.
                    Have you tried other phasers? Because pretty much everything that's not Danelectro-esque crap is better than the Phase 90. It has one knob, for craps sake. Great if you want one tone, but that's not enough for quite a few people.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      Have you tried other phasers? Because pretty much everything that's not Danelectro-esque crap is better than the Phase 90. It has one knob, for craps sake. Great if you want one tone, but that's not enough for quite a few people.
                      I know I certainly have. I can assure you having been around back then that the vast majority of the classic phase tones people are lusting after were made by a phase 90, phase 100 or a small stone. More is not better.

Comment

You did say expensive? The Moogerfooger Flanger is the best Flange/Chorus I have ever used. The ability to change the LFO makes it sound like 5 unique flangers. The big plus for me is the mix and output control so there is no signal drop or boost when the pedal is turned on. It can get much more aggressive than the M-117 and a lot more subtle if needed.

Comment

VFE Enterprise Phaser gives you a Phase 45, Phase 90, and a passable Uni-vibe all in one pedal. It also has knobs to adjust the depth, mix, and feedback in addition to the speed.
                          "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

CMATmods Analog phaser sounds much better than the MXR phase 90 to me. I hate phasers/flangers that don't have a Level or Wet/Dry knob.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                              Then go with the Phase 100. The Small Stone, Phase 90, or Phase 100's are the benchmarks for anything that has to so with phasing. Also MXR just released a Phase 99 which has two Phase 90 circuits in it and it can do different phase speeds on both.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X