Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I just modded my Phase 90.

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    Removing R28 does not make the $80 Phase 90 a Script Phase 90. There are many other parts that would need to be removed and some changes in the layout.

Agreed the the EVH Phase 90 is the one to have. There's still some tone suck with the bypass on it though, which I don't like. Either make the thing buffered or true bypass, not this so-called "hardwire" bypass that still creates some signal degradation.
    Oh, ok. I don't do much modding to pedals. i find the one that sounds the best and keep it that way.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      get over the technical specs and use your EARS!!!!!
      I do use my ears, and my ears tell me that the script circuit sounds better than the Phase 90 with only the R28 mod, when I modded my early Dunlop Phase 90 (which is identical to the later block logo original Phase 90's, including the same board, through-hole components, and case-mounted jacks, switch, and pot), I did some investigation on Aron's Stompbox Forum (and other sources), and found the complete modding schematic to change it to the script circuit. The R28 mod gets you about half-way there, you have to change out more components to get the original circuit (and the mods are very simple). There's no reason that you can't get into the circuitry and also use your ears to appreciate the difference!. I love just playing guitar, and trying different pedals for different sounds, but I also like to learn about what makes those pedals sound the way they do.

Al
      Last edited by Zombiwoof; 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Blasting through a half stack in a noisy club do you really think anyone is going to know the difference, really?

Comment

^Nope, will go unnoticed.

But when ya setting everything up together to test maybe alone at home & notice that one of the units is behaving differently, then that can have a psychological impact on the mind, which can carry over to the next gig whenever the odd functioning unit is about to be used. Thus thereby affecting ones playing & then everyone can notice the change/error.

Well maybe not! lol

Comment

Again - if you are playing out and the difference in the R28 vs non-R28 phasor affects your playing enough that we all notice it, please do me and everyone in the audience, as well as the band a favor:

Stay home and let a real player play. I'm there to be entertained, and watching some tone snob gear head priss and b!tch and piss because mommy didn't put the right pudding in his lunchbox isn't entertaining.

If you can't walk up there and make it work with a Phase 90 right off the shelf, you can't do the job.
            Last edited by Aceman; 04-26-2014, 12:39 AM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Again - if you are playing out and the difference in the R28 vs non-R28 phasor affects your playing enough that we all notice it, please do me and everyone in the audience, as well as the band a favor:

Stay home and let a real player play. I'm there to be entertained, and watching some tone snob gear head priss and b!tch and piss because mommy didn't put the right pudding in his lunchbox isn't entertaining.

If you can't walk up there and make it work with a Phase 90 right off the shelf, you can't do the job.
              I'm sure glad you straightened us all out on what a real man would do!. Yeah, forget any technical aspects of your gear, just get up there and play with whatever crap you are handed, that's what a real musician will do.
              The original post was regarding modding a Phase 90, so that's what we are discussing. If you are not interested in such things, just ignore threads like this. Troll posts like yours are only intent on starting arguments, and are not helpful at all to musicians who are interested in all aspects of being a musician, which includes the equipment you use.

Al

Comment

Zombi - I have NEVER said don't worry about your gear.

I have OFTEN said there are people that worry way too much about mystery nuance tonal voodoo that neither they, nor the audience can hear or care about. Yet there are more than enough posts, easily 10-1 by individuals that throw out the unbelievably sad comment about how a little truly freaking minor tonal issue can apparently affect their playing so badly it might impact the audience.

I didn't go there; Others did. I am as much a gear fiddler, pickup swapper as anyone here. And for the record, Astro is more of a player/working musician than most. We give him crap, but when it is time to play, he throws down.

So let's keep our discussions clear:

A) Let's tweak and twiddle and futz and fix all we want. It's fun, it's enjoyable, it does make us sound better, even if only to ourselves.
                B) Let's don't make it an excuse for not being a performer. Performers are there for fans, the audience, and everyone else. If you are a performer, you need to be that first.

Troll, seriously? I would challenge anyone to blind listen of a r28, r28 ONLY and full script mods blind listening. I bet 95% of the people could not reliable tell the r28 only from either of the two, and none of them could tell if we were switching them in and out in a band context.

Trolls are fantasy creatures. Science talks and BS walks!

And - my original comment still stands - I think that is a cool mod. Hit it.

Comment

I just modded my Phase 90.

Ace, I think you went a little far a few posts back. Sounds extremely egotistical to me.

So if Brad Paisley doesn't like the sound of a pedal right away in his rig, he should stay home and let a real player do the job? You are saying just that because a lot of professionals have their gear modded.

It was not uncommon for Hendrix to have boxes full of crybaby's and fuzz boxes at shows. Sometimes it would take 3-4 changes of each for him to be happy with it. Was he not a real player?

Performing does come first. Absolutely. But if it sounds like **** to you, as a performer, it can be a little uninspiring. You're right, the audience won't care, but players do. To put on the best possible show, having your best sound is a great feeling.

What would you rather play a gig through, a Gorilla 20 watt amp mic'd through a cheap PA or a roaring Marshall half-stack through a state of the art PA? I bet you 10-1 that you'll put on a better performance through the better rig.

And as one who has done the R28 mod NUMEROUS times (in addition to putting together that document), there is a big difference in how it sounds with and without the resistor in circuit. If you haven't heard the difference or done it yourself, try it.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 04-27-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Indeed Erik - apologies to all. This definitely one of my pet-peeves. Need to not get caught up in the webs of the intarweb!

So if Brad Paisley doesn't like the sound of a pedal right away in his rig, he should stay home and let a real player do the job? You are saying just that because a lot of professionals have their gear modded.
                    Brad Paisely plays arenas and the sound is $h!tty in any number of them regardless of the quality of gear he brings (which is indeed some choice stuff!). But he brings his A game every night, everywhere.

It was not uncommon for Hendrix to have boxes full of crybaby' sand fuzz boxes at shows. Sometimes it would take 3-4 changes of each for him to be happy with it. Was he not a real player?
                    He was Hendrix. What's your point?

Performing does come first. Absolutely. But if it sounds like **** to you, as a performer, it can be a little uninspiring. You're right, the audience won't care, but players do. To put on the best possible show, having your best sound is a great feeling.
                    Hey - no disagreement there. But there is a difference between the audience seeing your performance hurt, being uninspired, and not putting on your best show. I personally like it when I can at least hear myself play. But I have played in situations where I couldn't. Was I happy? Heck no. Was it my best? Absolutely not. Did I try to make it go well - yep. Because it wasn't for me for the most part. And I think that's my point: When the guy is up there to massage his own ego and be tonally self-indulgent, you can tell. (see next post). But as a member of the audience - I am there to SEE the show. I want it tight, I want it to sound good, and I want it to rock. Honestly - If it can't do that with guitar straight into amp, IMO, it can't do it. Doesn't matter if it is Ibanez Tone Blaster or Uberschall, Soundtank pedal or Original Maxon, STock 2010's pedal or ultra-modded boot eek, 490's or hand wound by MJ, or Korean import or Gibson Custom shop.

I often get the sense from comments that it wouldn't rock regardless, but hear a lot of blame the equipment. I should chill on that and not make assumptions.

What would you rather play a gig through, a Gorilla 20 watt amp mic'd through a cheap PA or a roaring Marshall half-stack through a state of the art PA? I bet you 10-1 that you'll put on a better performance through the better rig.
                    I have seen guys do KILLER Shows through a Digitech RP150 on more than one occasion and do an AMAZING job. I have also seen guys wityh Uber-boards do nothing but fuss and fidget and be as meh as meh can be.

And as one who has done the R28 mod NUMEROUS times (in addition to putting together that document), there is a big difference in how it sounds with and without the resistor in circuit. If you haven't heard the difference or done it yourself, try it.
                    Noted. And I still say, for the record, no one could tell my Behringer set on Vintage vs that in a band setting, and that half might like the behringer better. ; }

Comment

I really need to realize that we are indeed on a gear board. It will be full of tone tweeters etc.

Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

The first, and most common mod, is to remove the feedback resistor, R28 (24K). This will makeit sound somewhat like the classic script version and pretty much eliminate the distorted mid-boost. If this is not enough, then remove C11 and C12, this mod will remove the pre and de-emphasis (noise filtering).
                        I've been GASing for a phaser recently, and was looking at the Phase 90. In all honesty, a mid boost and noise filtering actually sounds even better (in theory) to me. It makes the regular Phase 90 an even more likely candidate now.

Comment

a gig through, a Gorilla 20 watt amp mic'd through a cheap PA or a roaring Marshall half-stack through a state of the art PA? I bet you 10-1 that you'll put on a better performance through the better rig.
                          Most blues, jazz and players on Broadway in Nashville play on gear that most people on this board would turn their noses up at. I have seen those guys get amazing tone out of gear that most of us would throw away. And these are yes professional musicians. In my own personal experiences I would have to sometimes play on what ever backline was provided. Sometimes a great amp in other cases a totally abused house amp, you make due with the hand you're dealt. It isn't the gear that made or broke those gigs it was the attitude and skill of the players around me. Unless the amp was broken it was a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                            I've been GASing for a phaser recently, and was looking at the Phase 90. In all honesty, a mid boost and noise filtering actually sounds even better (in theory) to me. It makes the regular Phase 90 an even more likely candidate now.
                            This is exactly why I went with the EVH. Both script (or at least close to it) and block sounds in one box with the push of a button. For a bit more $$$, the Retro Sonic will do all of this and more.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                              I think you should really just try both types, the later block logo type with the feedback circuit (the early original block logos didn't have the feedback circuit) which is what the production Dunlop model is, and the true script circuit (the handwired Dunlop MXR custom shop model, the Whirlwind, and the others mentioned), and see which you like best. Try the EVH one also, which is a sort of compromise that has pretty much both sounds. The main difference in the versions with the feedback circuit is the extra "swishiness" (which is hard to describe, you have to hear it) that is really accentuated when used with high gain or distortion pedals. Play through them the way you usually would, either with a clean or distorted sound, and pick your poison. We can talk about circuit differences all day, but you have to hear the difference to understand it.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                                At the same time it's $80 plus 10 minutes of extra modding versus $130 for the everything already done. I'll save $50 and do it myself. But I understand your argument too.
                                The script with led is $99.

Comment

Working...
                                X